Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone know of a paddle shifter for the 6l80e trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide
from a digg i set it at M then tap it up to 3 and go then down shift from a roll
Never tried this from a dig. Does it make a difference??
Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Ours are so damm slow because the bcm has to see the signal then has to think about wtf to do then broadcasts over the data bus to the TCM and then it has to think and perform the desired action.

On the vette it's a direct voltage input to the tcm so bang bang bang as soon as you hit it she responds.
i would love for our trucks to respond like this.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Never tried this from a dig. Does it make a difference??

yeah it made a time difference @ the track from a digg I alway ran from a D them a guy was telling me drop it to M then tap up what ever gears id throw in the 1/4 then when u take off itll hit 1st 2nd and 3rd a lil harder before at that time i was running 13.52s 13.50 13.48s then 13.39s 13.42s on street 20" tires
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide
yeah it made a time difference @ the track from a digg I alway ran from a D them a guy was telling me drop it to M then tap up what ever gears id throw in the 1/4 then when u take off itll hit 1st 2nd and 3rd a lil harder before at that time i was running 13.52s 13.50 13.48s then 13.39s 13.42s on street 20" tires
Damn, that's good to know!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours are so damm slow because the bcm has to see the signal then has to think about wtf to do then broadcasts over the data bus to the TCM and then it has to think and perform the desired action.

On the vette it's a direct voltage input to the tcm so bang bang bang as soon as you hit it she responds.
Have you driven a <2012 C6 or Camaro SS with paddles? It is far from "bang bang". Like I said earlier, GM even changed the programming in the TCM this year, to "preload" the clutch packs, to shift it a bit faster. The delay isn't just because of the data bus. When you press the button, the TCM/ECM has to determine the shift parameters (desired shift time, line pressure, TM desired, engine load, etc), then the trans has to get the line pressure right, load the clutch packs, then actually execute the shift.

Here is the quote from GM Powertrain:

"Staged up-shifts will help drivers of the 2012 ZL1 – the most powerful production Camaro ever – get the most out of its supercharged 6.2L engine that is SAE-rated at 580 horsepower (432 kW) and 556 lb.-ft. of torque (754 Nm).

By staging hydraulic pressure in the clutch for the next gear, the new control module algorithm reduces tap delay for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 up-shifts by 200-300 milliseconds. The system anticipates shift requests based on current gear, throttle, torque and speed. By pre-filling the clutch for the next gear, the tap up-shift response is near instantaneous.

“As great as the previous system’s performance was, we were driven to achieve even better results,” said Gabe Gibson, GM performance car calibration engineer. “Not only did we make the upgrade to Camaro, we implemented it on the 2012 Corvette as well, and will use it on all vehicles with TapShift control going forward.”"
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I dont mean it shifts as fast as a lambo but it's a huge improvement over tap shift our trucks come with. I have driven a 12 ZL1 it shifts nice.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

weather theres a delay its still helps out just gotta check your RPMs vs having to up shift the shifter by hand
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I ordered buttons for a vette this morning should be in tomorrow. Something that did just occur to me that may screw me is the vettes use global a platform for programming whereas our trucks don't.
I'm going to try cross programming this weekend and see what happens and what bugs show up in our trucks with a vette or camaro tune in the tcm.

I'm not going to waste money on steering wheel till I find out bout tcm being able to be flashed and see what bugs show up. But after looking at a new camaro it has the cruise and audio buttons just like our trucks. It may look kinda off dunno but me thinks a camaro steering wheel swap and possibly clockspring may be the way to get full oem functionality.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 08-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

sweet keep us updated
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The wiring for the paddle shifters is cake it's 2 wires. It gets 12v from the bcm and goes directly to the switches. Then a single wire runs out of the switches and to the transmission that carrys different voltages depending on if you are telling it to upshift and down shift and to what gear. The tranny then just obeys.

As far as the tranny goes the trucks tcm internal to the tranny may have this capability if it is simply reflashed for a vette. Or you may have to change to a vette tcm valve body.

I'm not sure if there is any inter pcm/tcm communication during the paddle shift operation.

Damm tempted to try it on mine and I can do the programming.
Yeah thinking it will be harder to mounting these little paddles then anything. No need to go crazy or anything with it either. Just tap the 2 wires from each paddle to the wires from the column shifter paddles and your done. Nothing that requires programming or anything. Now to get the trans to shift faster is a different story. For now ill stick to just timing my shift. Would be cool if you could get that part to work tho I would def try it. Do you have access to the wiring diagram or exploited views? If you do can you post them up?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The part number listed on the last page is not valid. GM part numbers are 8 digits.
Its because its a AMG Mercedes part #. I like these over the Vette paddles and my buddy has these in his Chrysler 300 so they feel pretty good and would fit a lot of different types of steering wheels easily.

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a paddle shifter for the 6l80e trucks?