Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

After 35 years I can no longer support GM..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
You have to be kidding? I would take ANY japanese brand passenger car over the best one gm offers. Literal pieces of ****.
Agreed.

6.5 years on my Lexus ISF. Not one problem. It's my getting to work for sure car!

Camaro and cstv not grouped in all this. Love em.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

6 gen camaros and anything with the new 5th gen small block are junk.... Couldnt give me one!!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
6 gen camaros and anything with the new 5th gen small block are junk.... Couldnt give me one!!
why is that? I think the gen 6 platform is amazing. just overpriced for it's segment (shitty sales number support my claim)
The following users liked this post:
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You have to be kidding? I would take ANY japanese brand passenger car over the best one gm offers. Literal pieces of ****.
Cannot argue,all new purchases have been GM trucks and SUVs 15 of them since 1989,just one car base 013 Malibu 23kmsrp paid 15.5 with GM card loyalty and discounts,58k miles later sold for $10.5 did have a water pump fail warrenty covered.Replaced with new 016 base Impala 28k sticker,discounts and GM car $20.5 dont really trust the cars much past warrenty but if we can drive them cheap...ok

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 09-01-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

5th gen engines not junk opinons vary
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

why is that? I think the gen 6 platform is amazing. just overpriced for it's segment (shitty sales number support my claim)
Camaros have recall for oil pickup tube being misinstalled, the gen v engines have severe vlom issues, and i have personally seen 3 2016 trucks that have had to have engines put in them before they could be sold for varying reasons!! One of which had the wrong wrist pins in it.... If i had to buy a brand new truck right now it woukd be a 2500hd with the l96 and 6l90 with manual transfer case!! If i had to buy a used truck right now it would more than likely not be a 13, (tho i do miss my crew cab 4.8 2wd) probably be a 09, 10, or 12.. 13 was a badyear for cams and lifters!! 11 seems to have been hard on transmisions... Just an observation!! I personally really like the new camaro body, however i really dislike the interior!!!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a bunch of friends in GM service engineering in Warren, MI... I'll harass them for this for sure.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your mileage may vary I guess. 2007 Sierra, I beat on it hard some days no issues to date (just tires, fluids, routine maintenance all done by me) and its been fun for over 10 years now. Wife's 2010 Altima coupe 3.5 CVT was good fun, but 2 batteries in 4 years, front brakes always squeaking, drivers seat made funny noises they could never solve (I'll stop the jokes here it wasn't her, it was the seat), recall on master cylinder, and of course the required maintenance was a bit over the top, brake line flush every 2 years, engine hot oil flushes, rear brakes worn out at 50,000 miles etc...traded in on a ATS coupe and couldn't be happier, 0 issues in over a year now.

So say what you want but they are all machines and machines have issues, import or not. I won't even get into my buds with their BMW's and MB's, great cars when they work but when they go wrong stand back.. $$$$$ LOL Their dealers aren't that great either.

Always sorry to hear of anyone having major issues with their new vehicles.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 01-02-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm kind of like the OP but I have bad luck with almost every single brand..... so then what? The best new truck I have owned to date was a 2013 F150 FX4 with a 6.2. Was it flawless? No...... I broke a drivers side axle shaft but I take responsibility for that..... and I had to fight with 6 dealers across this entire province to fix my smelly poor performing a/c.... but the last dealer did and fixed the evap core. Why did I sell it? Because modded it was slower than this 2015 Silverado I have now stock...... dumb mistake.

The Silverado will be gone tomorrow if the latest buyer doesn't back out.... pos has even been a battle to sell as GM is giving the new trucks away at like 25% discount without trying...... makes the used market worthless and I am letting this truck go for a good deal less than I should have too..... but it's gone and that's the main thing. The cheque I get goes right into my 2004 mostly lol.... pay for the blower..... all the body work..... the other 20 grand can go towards a second shop lol.

I don't hate the L86 in my 2015..... it's cool.... even the 8L90E would be cool if the stupid thing could shift correctly..... get out of park.... not lose its marbles here and there..... etc. The truck just isn't reliable and I don't need a vehicle that has been in for more repairs in 25000 miles than my 180000 mile 05 1500HD has ever had...... Plus the irrepairables like the vibration under load ( tongue weight or in the bed), the shitty paint that falls off at will, the random dents that just appear...... goodbye lol.

I look at a new truck like this..... I run a business and theoretically have retired my 05 Sierra about 4 times now...... and every single truck that I buy to retire that old GMC ends up being a fail.... costing down time and oh look.... I drive the 05 again. So let's just cut the bullshit and drive the 05 forever I guess lol..... I need a new body on the truck as it's rotting away but it doesn't give any trouble.... starts everytime... and does anything I ask of it.

So far a 2013 F150 ( different truck than the FX4..... a 6.2 powered XLT supercab), a 2015 Toyota Tundra and this 2015 Silverado haven't cut the mustard so to speak... I'm tired of shelling out 40 or 50 grand to still drive the old truck anyway lol...

Find me a new pickup that for the first 60000.... hell 45000 miles all I need to do is oil changes, tire rotations and put gas in it...... I will buy 3 of them lol. Not bloody recall after recall after failure after blah blah blah... etc. Lol.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I’ve had better luck than some when it comes to vehicles. I purchased my ’01 C3 late in its model run and only experienced one recall for the tailgate cables. I did have to have warranty work done back in ’03 for the truck going into REP and the dealer nor GM knew at the time how to fix it, so after multiple trips to different service departments, I decided to take the throttle body apart and found that the grease GM had used inside the throttle body had crusted up causing it to more or less freeze up. Once cleaned up and re-greased using good synthetic grease, it lasted about 10 more years before I finally had to replace it. The steering wheel button lights burned out and were replaced under warranty, and they replaced the factory body colored soft bed cover with a hard Snugtop, as the factory cover would keep stretching out and blowing off going down the highway, but as far as warranty items that has been it. Yes I did explode the G80, but that was my doing and a good Eaton LSD later, it has also been fine all these years.

Now for my ’12 model GMC Canyon, which everyone would consider a pretty cheap vehicle, it has never had to make a trip to the dealer for anything. I just did a L9H 6.2L swap in December and don’t plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, as it finally runs how I feel a GMT-355 with a V8 should run.

My wife has a ’12 model Chev. Malibu and it is a turd that has had 3 or 4 recalls so far. All the common items you see on the news, like ignition switches and so on.

Before that, she had a Cadillac Seville that both of us wish she still had, but the HVAC controller decided to take an early lunch and surprisingly, I couldn’t find a replacement anywhere, new or remanufactured. It’s a shame, as it was a nice car and would run circles around the little Malibu, but you can’t expect anyone to be happy driving in South Texas without working air.

Maybe I’ve just had better luck with trucks!
Skiman (09-28-2021)

Quick Reply: After 35 years I can no longer support GM..