Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2L Fuel Economy/Octane requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I'm glad somebody else noticed this, hopefully the OP is still reading. While the prior two posters were correct in their statements that a vehicle tuned for regular unleaded will gain nothing from premium, they missed the fact that the L92 trucks come from the factory tuned for 91+. Because of this, the computer will pull timing if a lower octane fuel is used, and power and efficiency will suffer.
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Well said!
Thank you, sir! Likewise. I'm usually the guy with all the info and nothing to do with it, but this time it's actually relevant to me as well: I'll be picking up my 2011 Silverado 4x4 6.2 crew on Monday, after the dealer finishes getting it ready for me. Signed all the paperwork yesterday
Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Thank you, sir! Likewise. I'm usually the guy with all the info and nothing to do with it, but this time it's actually relevant to me as well: I'll be picking up my 2011 Silverado 4x4 6.2 crew on Monday, after the dealer finishes getting it ready for me. Signed all the paperwork yesterday
Congrats!

Post up some pics when you pick 'er up!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Man Motor club

Congrats!

Post up some pics when you pick 'er up!
Will do I can't wait! Plus the day I pick it up will likely be the cleanest it will ever be, since it is black and I live in the middle of the desert, and I plan on driving it like a truck. I can't wait to go out into the wilderness in my new ride.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best ive ever managed was 20 according to the dash.. i dont know how your managing 24... calculate it and see if that thing is right....

you can def tell the power loss when you have 87 in the truck... it had 87 in it from the dealer.... so you guys buying the new ones.. make sure there putting 91-93 in it
Old 02-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Man Motor club

I think I must have told them at least four times to make sure I get a full tank of premium LOL
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Man Motor club

We'll find out on Monday. What is the easiest way to find out quickly?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Per Dash. Never last longer than 1hour cuz it's hard to keep my foot out of the gas. I've pulled 500 miles off a tank few times.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't gone on a road trip long enough to get an accurate reading. This is from driving from League City to Montgomery around 7-8 at night. Then when i got there i was showing it off to my friends. The mpgs went way down.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Octane - forgot about that part of the OP's post . . .

The 6.2s are engineered for 91+ octane fuel (and/or E85 for the '09s and newer).

Each time that the ECM detects more than approximately 6 gallons of fuel has been added to the tank, the software is written in such a way that it utilizes the high octane spark advance tables. Once a certain amount (or severity) of knock has been detected by the ECM, it then reverts to the low octane spark tables - until the next time that 6+ gallons of fuel is added to the tank.

I have NO idea what the knock "threshold" is that forces the ECM to use the low-octane spark tables, but that's how it operates.

The "low octane" spark tables WILL adversely affect your torque, power and economy!

EDIT - one more small tidbit concerning octane - some export 6.2s (bound for the middle east, IIRC) are factory tuned for 95 octane fuel, and factory rated at 443 HP!

Thanks for the throughly written response Lyold, exactly what i needed to find out. My plans for buying a new truck will be postponed untill this summer when they give 5k cashback again (Assuming my sources are correct). These bastards just won't give me enough for my 2010 to make a legitment purchase right now =(.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad somebody else noticed this, hopefully the OP is still reading. While the prior two posters were correct in their statements that a vehicle tuned for regular unleaded will gain nothing from premium, they missed the fact that the L92 trucks come from the factory tuned for 91+. Because of this, the computer will pull timing if a lower octane fuel is used, and power and efficiency will suffer.
Also good to know, I figured these L92's are essentially a LS3 Motor in a truck. I got to drive one friday and they got quite abit more pickup than my 5.3/6speed truck.

Quick Reply: 6.2L Fuel Economy/Octane requirements