Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2L Exhaust Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is where I am torn. I know with the 6.2 and the Procharger a 4" would be best performance wise but I really don't want to have something that is just stupid loud when cruising down the hwy. I can deal with it when romping around town but an hour or more of driving and constant drone is going to drive me nuts.

I have heard good things about the MBRP No Drone diesel mufflers. There is a guy up here (Daniel...don't remember his screen name on here) that has a cammed, ARH LT and ORY, stall etc.. on his 5.3 and it sounds mean as hell at idle. Still haven't taken a ride on the hwy with it yet but if there is not much drone this is probably the route I will head with my truck.

I just don't know if I can have my cake and eat it to with this 6.2
Free flowing and quite on this motor I don't think will be in the same sentence
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
This is where I am torn. I know with the 6.2 and the Procharger a 4" would be best performance wise but I really don't want to have something that is just stupid loud when cruising down the hwy. I can deal with it when romping around town but an hour or more of driving and constant drone is going to drive me nuts.

I have heard good things about the MBRP No Drone diesel mufflers. There is a guy up here (Daniel...don't remember his screen name on here) that has a cammed, ARH LT and ORY, stall etc.. on his 5.3 and it sounds mean as hell at idle. Still haven't taken a ride on the hwy with it yet but if there is not much drone this is probably the route I will head with my truck.

I just don't know if I can have my cake and eat it to with this 6.2
Free flowing and quite on this motor I don't think will be in the same sentence
once im done with mine lol (NEVER!!!) i will be adding a 4'' glasspack behind the muffler to make it a sleeper less rumble
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide
Dont get me wrong I had Corsa on a Z28 and LOVED IT it is top of the line but im going by see and done, and 6.2Ls come with 3 1/2" pipe factory which is good i dont see why going down to a 3'' is any better? 6.2L love to breath and fart, im no pro but ive been going by what some of the guys here say, think, and do I picked up a good amount jumping to a 4'' exhaust vs the stock size for performance Corsa has the best sounding exhaust IMO just done think i would down size my pipe
It's not just pipe diameter that matters. The corsa muffler is a high flowing muffler and will flow more than the factory 3.5" with its chambered muffler. Like I said for a bolt on truck I'm sure its fine, when blown then yeah bigger would be better.

Personally, I'm going to run a stock 6.2 exhaust with lts and no cats, to keep it tame while cruising and towing, then when I want to get rowdy hit the cutout button. Aftermarket exhaust is expensive for no drone and is still too damn loud. I had a corsa touring with catless lts, and when the converter unlocked it got loud, even when towing small trailers or with the fourwheeler and cooler loaded up.

My needs are a bit different than most since I'm not concerned with all out performance anymore and more about utility.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

There is always this if you want to go just the muffler way....... considering the piping is 3.5" mandrel that is all I would do.

FLO~PRO - BIG Oval 12x9
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

As has been said, having the cake n eatting it is tough, I think ill go 4" inlet on the muffler depending on what the shop has (carry 10 brands of mufflers) and we will set it up and run it to get an idea of sound with a few different mufflers. I think the drone is going to be a reality and possibly look into a tune pipe (saw a forum on them somewhere) to try to cut it down if it drives me crazy havent had the concern on past vehicles but I was younger when i did the pipes on those. My idea is, do the exhaust once so i can go cam or FI and not worry about changing things unless it gets "too loud".
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 62nalide
Dont get me wrong I had Corsa on a Z28 and LOVED IT it is top of the line but im going by see and done, and 6.2Ls come with 3 1/2" pipe factory which is good i dont see why going down to a 3'' is any better? 6.2L love to breath and fart, im no pro but ive been going by what some of the guys here say, think, and do I picked up a good amount jumping to a 4'' exhaust vs the stock size for performance Corsa has the best sounding exhaust IMO just done think i would down size my pipe
What 4" muffler are you running? Part #?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Is every 4" diesel muffler duppose to "remove drone"? I looked at MBRP and they look decent, guessing they are loud? Anyone have experience with a diesel muffler on a gas - sound, how loud, are the mufflers any different than a regular muffler?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi
Is every 4" diesel muffler duppose to "remove drone"? I looked at MBRP and they look decent, guessing they are loud? Anyone have experience with a diesel muffler on a gas - sound, how loud, are the mufflers any different than a regular muffler?
idk the part # i will look it up but heres an idle vid
LS9 cam start up - YouTube
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is 1 7/8" ARH into 4" merge and 4" exhaust into MBRP muffler. Custom cam. Sounds way better in person. I need to take a ride and hear how it is on the HWY still.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

I got pictures of my stock catback removed and the new ARH headers, but I cant seem to figure out how to post them on a thread. I try to attach an image but it keeps saying it failed. Am I doing it wrong?

Quick Reply: 6.2L Exhaust Recommendations