Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 + stroker

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stroking a 6.2 does make great sense to me, it's got an oversquare stock bore/stroke ratio at 103.25 x 92mm. The added displacement and longer stroke would both add to torque so should be a huge help in getting all the lard in motion off the line (no offense, I was talking about the truck not you).

You planning to do the wrench work yourself?

I need to win the lottery so I can play ....
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Stroking a 6.2 does make great sense to me, it's got an oversquare stock bore/stroke ratio at 103.25 x 92mm. The added displacement and longer stroke would both add to torque so should be a huge help in getting all the lard in motion off the line (no offense, I was talking about the truck not you).

You planning to do the wrench work yourself?

I need to win the lottery so I can play ....
yes I would

i will continue to search the net to find others that stroked there LS3s and these truck, to try and find results/gains pros cons
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just jumped in here to clarify that the 10X00 pounds was trailer weight, not gross total, but Phil beat me to it. As for the stroker, I agree completely with Phil; the blower would be easier to run 12s with, the stroker also fun but only cheaper if you assemble it yourself. A good stroked setup can put you between 550-600 horsepower (around 525 maybe if you want some sick torque) but most blower kits start in that territory to begin with, without a pulley, longtubes, and a custom tune.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Man Motor club

Obviously those numbers are if you camshaft accordingly.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it were me, I'd have a TVS1900/2300. I hate lopey cams and loose converters in trucks, which is what you need to get an N/A setup to perform well at the track. The TVS setups run very nicely. They are much better for the bigger motors, over the older "radix m112" setup.

People were wringing out the M112 on the 6.0s, and had a hard time getting them to perform, because they were past their efficiency range. Not saying some don't run well, but IMO, the blowers were just too small for engines larger than 327ci.

Before you make up your mind, try to at least ride in a well tuned TVS setup. The midrange torque gains are insane.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
I hate lopey cams and loose converters in trucks
Roger that!!!

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
... try to at least ride in a well tuned TVS setup. The midrange torque gains are insane.
And that's exactly why I'm looking at some kind of supercharger for my DD. I race about once or twice in a good year, but I drive on the street every day.

Speaking of TVS, the Edelbrock uses a TVS 2300 rotating assembly, with a cast aluminum one-piece housing/manifold that Edelbrock makes in their own factory. The more I read about their new model that's specific for the 6.2 pickup the more I like it. I'm still hoping some magazine, or a regular here on this board, will test one on a pickup for me!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Roger that!!!

And that's exactly why I'm looking at some kind of supercharger for my DD. I race about once or twice in a good year, but I drive on the street every day.

Speaking of TVS, the Edelbrock uses a TVS 2300 rotating assembly, with a cast aluminum one-piece housing/manifold that Edelbrock makes in their own factory. The more I read about their new model that's specific for the 6.2 pickup the more I like it. I'm still hoping some magazine, or a regular here on this board, will test one on a pickup for me!
I'm with YOU, Phil. Love the thought of bolting the new E-Force setup on my Denali!

I definitely need to win the lottery . . .

Gonzo - see what you've stirred up?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
I'm with YOU, Phil. Love the thought of bolting the new E-Force setup on my Denali!

I definitely need to win the lottery . . .

Gonzo - see what you've stirred up?

Hi Lloyd good to hear from you,hey what are fuel prices in your area today? here $3.95 chevron regular,been coming down some,a guy can get more motovated when fuel is reasonable right???

Stirred up quickly
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

2wd trucks, if tuned right, will run low 13's all day long with the right bolt ons. im not the only one who knows this, or has done it.

4wd will need more power. obviously {drivetrain loss}
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Man Motor club

Fuel hasn't been reasonable in over a decade. I'm only 26 and when I got my license I could fuel up with regular for about a buck a gallon, plus or minus a nickel. Premium is finally under $4 here, maybe 3.85-3.95; I don't usually look when I fuel up.

The stroker numbers I listed wouldn't be any peakier than stock, if set up properly. With a properly-specified VVT camshaft, there is no reason a stroker can't be just a drivable as anything else. You can make some serious low-end torque and some great power either way. The supercharger is certainly the easier route, but a nicely-done stroker could be a great deal of fun IMHO.

Quick Reply: 6.2 + stroker