Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Would I even notice? Head porting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would I even notice? Head porting.

So I did pick up the high mileage L33. For the bottom half, I'll probably just do new cam bearings, and then crank bearings if they look like they need replacing. Still looking at just doing the Cam Motion 5.3 cam where you can utilize the stock converter. So my question is, should I spend the $1200 to get the 2.5 PRC head porting done?

Realistically I'm going to do valve springs anyway and the heads will need to be cleaned and gone through anyway, so I'm halfway there price wise...

Just wondering if I'm going to run such a mild cam and on 87 octane if it's really worth the extra money to have the heads ported or not.

Anyone on here do heads/cam on 87? I know I'm leaving XYZ horsepower on the table by going the 87 route, but fuel pricing is just in this constant state of flux, and with 93 seemingly at 60 cents a gallon more than 87 anymore (what happened to it being only 20 cents more a gallon????!!!), it's hard to justify $12 per say a 20 gallon fill up for a daily driver....Roughly $500-550 a year in extra fuel costs. Has anyone dyno'd back to back, 87 to 93? I'm kind of curious how bad the penalty really is. Also curious if I should spend the extra $700 for the porting over say just having the heads checked, cleaned and new valve springs.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

For that kinda of money on an engine that isn't going to use the porting to it's maximum, no it's not worth the cost to me. Save the money and put it towards the little bit extra in fuel costs.

At a minimum I'd run 89 octane if you have it available, this way you can at least get some power from that engine instead of having to throttle the tune back so much because you want to run 87. Here it's only about a 15 cent difference for 89 and 40-50 cent difference for 91-93.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 760 Likes on 629 Posts

If your going to spend the money on having a valve job and new springs any way, I would have them ported.

I have never hear any one say "Gee, I wish I wouldn't of had them ported."

Not sure about Florida and why it is so much higher for 93. It averages 10-20 cents price difference per octane here. So we have 87-89-91. Now depending on the station, time of year, oil market and other non sense, It would average 10 cents but could be as much as 20 cents difference between each octane level.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't know what has been occurring either, but each octane jump has been .30 down here. It's ridiculous!

I will probably spend the extra then and get them ported, I will also contemplate having it tuned on 89 when it's all put together...
Old 03-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 760 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I don't know what has been occurring either, but each octane jump has been .30 down here. It's ridiculous!

I will probably spend the extra then and get them ported, I will also contemplate having it tuned on 89 when it's all put together...
Sounds ridiculous to me too.

I just got my heads back. I just need to order a trunion upgrade kit and then measure for push rods when it's all together.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I have some decked and WCCH ported/built 243s that I could be persuaded to part with. We have to calculate, but I think they will put you in the 10.2-10.5 range, plus ported

To answer your question, 87 to 91 was worth ~20hp on my G8, from timing only, we didnt change fuel trims. We only had ~.5hr to tune so we didnt mess with it much. There may have been more in it. On the street 93 was worth putting a car on a supercharged 350z vs seeing that same car's tail lights when on regular.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I have some decked and WCCH ported/built 243s that I could be persuaded to part with. We have to calculate, but I think they will put you in the 10.2-10.5 range, plus ported

To answer your question, 87 to 91 was worth ~20hp on my G8, from timing only, we didnt change fuel trims. We only had ~.5hr to tune so we didnt mess with it much. There may have been more in it. On the street 93 was worth putting a car on a supercharged 350z vs seeing that same car's tail lights when on regular.
I kind of wondered how much the switch from 87 to 93 was worth. My tuner felt I was leaving 12-15 rwhp on the table. I am swapping the 317s for milled 799s, adding an 160* stat, and of course 93 octane.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its weird here on pricing. Tampa area is usually cheaper nationally being a gulf port city. Right now its 2.59 for 87 and 93 is 2.99-3.16 a gallon. We are fortunate to at least have 93 available. Figure each point of compression is worth roughly 15hp. A .020 milling of the heads will give you that point putting you near 11:1, about as high as you want to push 93. A couple degrees of timing will get you a few more hp. Head work is never a bad idea as you can always sell them or swap them onto a new project.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I might end up going for 93 potentially then depending on how much I am driving it, once I get the motor put together. It's too early to tell how much I will be driving the truck versus my wife's vehicle at this point.
I'm working on getting her Subaru Outback sold in order to pick up a 09+ Tahoe/Suburban/GMC or Cadillac variant vehicle. We have three, good sized dogs and the first child on the way. Amazing how quickly the dogs don't fit in the back of an Outback!

I daily drove my 94 Z28 for 10 years on 93 but I've gotten spoiled just putting the cheap stuff in the truck haha. What I find crazy is how I can't even find E85 in my town. I'm a hour north of Tampa but I've never seen it. People in Orlando/Tampa tune on E85 and I wonder if for long trips if they have to map their route out as to where they can find the stuff. I suppose on a flexfuel vehicle no biggie, but mine isn't a flex fuel and I'm not trying to change out whatever I need to, to make it so. I just thought about this as I watch fasterprom's youtube channel haha.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I might end up going for 93 potentially then depending on how much I am driving it, once I get the motor put together. It's too early to tell how much I will be driving the truck versus my wife's vehicle at this point.
I'm working on getting her Subaru Outback sold in order to pick up a 09+ Tahoe/Suburban/GMC or Cadillac variant vehicle. We have three, good sized dogs and the first child on the way. Amazing how quickly the dogs don't fit in the back of an Outback!

I daily drove my 94 Z28 for 10 years on 93 but I've gotten spoiled just putting the cheap stuff in the truck haha. What I find crazy is how I can't even find E85 in my town. I'm a hour north of Tampa but I've never seen it. People in Orlando/Tampa tune on E85 and I wonder if for long trips if they have to map their route out as to where they can find the stuff. I suppose on a flexfuel vehicle no biggie, but mine isn't a flex fuel and I'm not trying to change out whatever I need to, to make it so. I just thought about this as I watch fasterprom's youtube channel haha.
My current project is E85 hopeful. The closest station is a Thorntons on Water ave in Tampa. Its only going to be a weekend cruiser/strip bruiser. If I go that route I will just truck a couple 55gal poly drums in the Tundra to the house. I work in Tampa so its not a big deal. Being an S10 I'm going for a large fuel cell for capacity and axle weight. I ran an alcohol 460 in a Mustang II strip car decades ago and miss the novelty of being a little different.

Quick Reply: Would I even notice? Head porting.