Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

wheel speed sensor recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my local dealer and they didn't have a clue so I called 1-800-chev-usa and they said there are no recalls or service bullitins so I'm sol...Said it would be 350 dollars to fix cause they have to replace the whole instrument cluster...This is bullshit.....
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The wheel speed sensors are part of the ABS system, the speedo gets it's signal from the transmission. Some of the symptoms of the recall related problem are ABS malfunction lamp illuminated, codes, and pre-mature ABS activation. I had the recall done on my truck, they replaced one front speed sensor and cleaned the other.

He's right, this will not cause the speedo to do any thing. The wheel speed sensors are abs related. I have done about 5 of these recals so far. The worse I have seen so far is when you hit the brakes at a slow speed (1-10mph) the abs activates and causes you to travel a little further before stopping (3-6 ft). It can set codes as well. Basically the dealer cleans the rust from the speed sensor mounting surface and inspects the sensor for any flaws, bends, etc, then reinstalls or replaces the sensor. I haven't had to replace any yet, just clean. There should be no reason to reflash the computer. The only thing computer related would be clearing codes.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

can somebody get a pic of where these are located for future reference? the way my luck is with this truck il end up having to so something with them.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jjauto
He's right, this will not cause the speedo to do any thing. The wheel speed sensors are abs related. I have done about 5 of these recals so far. The worse I have seen so far is when you hit the brakes at a slow speed (1-10mph) the abs activates and causes you to travel a little further before stopping (3-6 ft). It can set codes as well. Basically the dealer cleans the rust from the speed sensor mounting surface and inspects the sensor for any flaws, bends, etc, then reinstalls or replaces the sensor. I haven't had to replace any yet, just clean. There should be no reason to reflash the computer. The only thing computer related would be clearing codes.

Can you describe where it's located? good info, thank you
Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jjauto
No joke...the 1st time mine did it was when I was pulling up into my driveway (small incline) at about 5-8 MPH. Hit the brakes to stop and couldn't stop (ABS kicked on)...before I could react, I bumped my garage pretty good. Slight dent on the chrome part of my bumper and some busted up vinyl siding on the garage. I pulled the ABS fuse for now...it'll get fixed it in the spring when the truck comes out of storage. Don't wait if you haven't had it done yet...I'd at least pull the fuse.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

you guys with funky speedos on 03's and up might also look towards the dash cluster being screwed, it kinda common and mine was already replaced at 33k.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FryZ71
No joke...the 1st time mine did it was when I was pulling up into my driveway (small incline) at about 5-8 MPH. Hit the brakes to stop and couldn't stop (ABS kicked on)...before I could react, I bumped my garage pretty good. Slight dent on the chrome part of my bumper and some busted up vinyl siding on the garage. I pulled the ABS fuse for now...it'll get fixed it in the spring when the truck comes out of storage. Don't wait if you haven't had it done yet...I'd at least pull the fuse.
dude i just unplugged my abs fuse, i tried to stop in the snow im going on tomorrow to get the recall done.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the speed sensors only good up to 125mph? I was logging my truck and at both times at 125 the speedometer would fluctuate between 117-125 when I wasn't actually slowing down. I tried to save the log but accidently saved the calibration instead. But the MPH line was jumping up and down like crazy. Both times it turned on the ABS light and said Rear Speed Sensor erratic or something like that. So basically my question is, is something wrong with them, or are they only good up to that speed? Thanx
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Hey guys this is Bollox!!! I work at GM....and I researched for any current or future re-calls on these trucks about a speed sensore re-call...and there is NO RECORD OF THIS AT ALL.

Anyways...the jerky speed is due to a defective stepper motor on the back of the dash cluster. I see this at least 2 or 4 times a week. You have to flash the cluster for the Cluster's Part number and then you have to send it to a AC Delco repair center and it usually costs $175 to $300 for a new cluster.

If you guys are in question about this....PM me with your VIN # and I'll pull your Vehicle History and let you know any recalls or bulletins on your rides.

Last edited by Torque_Wrench; 05-07-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmmm... my speedo stopped jerking after i replaced the tranny.... also... thier is a recall out replacing the wheel speed sensor... why would i make that up?? its only for 99-02 models

Quick Reply: wheel speed sensor recall