Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Unsuccessful Trans Gauge activation attempt at dealer

Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Unsuccessful Trans Gauge activation attempt at dealer

Well, that's the most expensive carwash I've ever gotten. Took my '04 Avalanche 1500 Z71 into the dealership and asked them to attempt to activate the transmission temp gauge that was added to the OE cluster. Talking to the service writer and technician, they seemed very "by the book" and said the programmer matched it to the VIN number, and if the VIN said it didn't originally come with the gauge, it wouldn't activate it. At first, the writer said he might waive the diagnostic fee because it was unsuccessful. Well, so much for that. Still charged me the full $125. Well, at least it's the cleanest it's ever been. I knew it was a gamble from the start when I added the gauge on to the cluster that didn't originally have one. But from what I've read here and other forums, it seemed like there was a pretty good chance it would work.

If any of you are, or can recommend a technician in Southern California that thinks he can do this for less than $200, I'm all ears. My next step is contacting one of those mail-order cluster companies to see if I can ship it off, or they'll swap out the core for an HD cluster with a working trans gauge. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

There is more to it than just putting a gauge on the board. But so far no one wants to say what it is. I believe there is another chip that needs to be changed or reprogrammed but requires special equipment and software.

Use one of the online places such as Ebay. I have not found any one reputable in the CA area that can do anything other than change lights and stepper motors.

That dealer charges to much. It's a 10 minute job to program it. They should have charged you 1/2 hour. The one in my area did when I had them unlock the radio.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Teching In

I've sent an email to U.S. Speedo in Flint, MI. I probably should have gone with them from the start. The local guy that rebuilt my cluster did a good job otherwise, but didn't have the tools or parts to reprogram it to activate the trans gauge.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im sorry to hear that sir. Well i added a gauge to my truck likw the 2500hd has it and all i did was pmug is right in. Idk maybe the year difference or something.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by igotzzoom
I've sent an email to U.S. Speedo in Flint, MI. I probably should have gone with them from the start. The local guy that rebuilt my cluster did a good job otherwise, but didn't have the tools or parts to reprogram it to activate the trans gauge.
I didn't know you were in the OC.

I can program stuff for you in the future.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Teching In

So for future reference, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, I'd recommend Dash Doctor in Grand Rapids, MI. I shipped my cluster off to him, and he was able to activate my trans temp gauge. Dash Doctor Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Old 01-19-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

When I swapped out my gauge pod the trans gauge was activated as part of the swap. Never had the gauge in my '04 before that.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
Im sorry to hear that sir. Well i added a gauge to my truck likw the 2500hd has it and all i did was pmug is right in. Idk maybe the year difference or something.
Originally Posted by darkirish63
When I swapped out my gauge pod the trans gauge was activated as part of the swap. Never had the gauge in my '04 before that.
Same here. Got a 2500hd cluster with the trans temp gauge, plugged it in and everything worked.

2005 Silverado 1500 Z71
Old 01-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the OP added the actuator to the stock cluster - at least that's how I read it.

There's a thread somewhere here that outlines what has to be don't to make it work, the thread is pretty long and in the end he never got it working.

Easiest way is to buy a cluster with the trans temp gauge from factory and have the miles reprogrammed to match the original cluster. It is plug and play after that. 99-02 clusters wont work on 03-06 and vice versa.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If the gauge is added to a stock cluster that didn't have one originally you probably just need to program the cluster for a 3/4 truck or denali that did have one. The pcm broadcasts the data over the bus regardless n programming needs to be altered at the pcm to get a operational trans temp.

I've only ever swapped to denali clusters and they work soon as you plug them in but they are programmed for trans temp.

Search this Thread