Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tie Rods..............

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

i did upper and lower control arms, shocks, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar bushings and front hubs
Old 06-13-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

I have been looking around to price out some new front end components, I was only looking at the moog problem solver parts. Rockauto was the cheapest I could find on every single part.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all the info- guys. Was up in Chicago at Nephews graduation. While there I figured heh- goto the NAPA there. I was then asked if I had rack and pinion steering. SO I just said thanks you I'm from out of state anyways. I have recirculating ball- did the 2WD trucks come with rack and pinion. I know R&P is all the rage on the Gen 4 trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Oh yeah- and replacing the UCA bushings- do they need to be pressed out, like with a ball joint press tool?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, UCA bushings need to be pressed out either with a BJ tool or shop press.

If your truck has coil springs in the front, it's R&P.
If your truck has torsion bars in the front, it's recirculating ball
Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool- thanks. and LCA's pressed out as well.........
Old 06-13-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Yep, LCA balljoints and bushings both need to be pressed out and in
Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks- beat this to death a little more, figured I'll do everything while I'm down there. How big of a deal is it to replace Pitman and idler arm BJs? I know the idler is a real PITA to get at just for greasing can it be done on the truck?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

One more Q- I was asked about idler/ pitman arm taper. how would I find this out? Thanks again
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

amazon sells uppper and lower control arms with moog bushings already pressed in. this will save ya ALOT of grief.
$$ vs time vs grief. I will spend the extra few $$ and get the entire arm/bushing assembly.

If you are dead set on pushing bushings, press in energy suspension bushings instead of moog.

I prefer energy suspension uper and lower control arm bushings moog lower sway bar end link bushings and energy suspension upper end link bushings and finally PST poly graphite sway bay mount bushings.

this give a significantly better than oem ride quality.
A progressive sway bar endlink and a nice and solid sway bar mount, which resists twisting and flex. when you tighten down the endlinks, you want to tighten just until the bushing touches the sway bar eyelet and then two more turns. DONOT buldge the bushings, they should be just tight enough that you cannot rotate the bushings by hand.

If you do rear leafs, do PST bushings in the front eyelets and energy suspension in the rear eyelet.
If you use a drop hanger you already have equivalent to moog bushings in the hanger.

by placing stiffer bushings and softer bushings in the correct locations, you get a very smooth but accurate suspension and vastly improved handling while not being so harsh that you can feel a penny when you drive over it.

When you are ready to fill tierod ends, idle and pitman arm as well as lubing bushings.
Get the Black lithium based marine grade lube.
DONOT pump so much into the zerks that grease pops out from the boots!
Have the front end of truck up on jack stands, pump in a cpl squirts of grease into each joint and then turn the steering wheel back and forth to full lock a few times, then add a cpl more squirts.
when you see the ruber boots start to swell up STOP pumping in grease. rotate the steering wheel a few times and your done.

When you are bolting up the upper, lower control arms do not tighten them so tight that they are hard to move, you want them to move freely, but not so loose they flop around.

Take the time to clean and re paint everything. it drives me batshit crazy when i see someone spend all the time to swap all these parts and not clean and repaint dirty parts.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks ez- I'm already looking up the energy upper and lower CA bushings, almost pulled the trigger on energy sway bar bushings too. SO would I have the 32 or 33 spline pitman/ idler arms? but I'd still be fine with just the BJ's and press'em in..............