Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Things to do when an engine is out

Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Things to do when an engine is out

I am pulling out my LQ9 this weekend because I'm sure it spun a rod bearing. My new engine is going to to take a few weeks to get here it will be a iron 5.3 with a 74mm turbo. Is there anything you guys recommend someone should do to a truck that has it's engine out in this idle time?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Should Do:
clean everything: frame, steering, plastics, sound insulation, etc.
check harness for breaks, nicks, missing insulation and cracked loom
Check weatherpack seals, replace as needed
paint anything you want to paint

Could Do:
Polish aluminum AC components if thats your style
build all the brackets and tabs you need to protect hoses, wires, lines from heat and for routing
remove and clean the cowl (be careful with the push barb in the center)
vacuum the cabin air intake
polish and condition all the plastics
build an aluminum overflow
relocate your coils
The following users liked this post:
JonToski187 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

I'll add to this since I just finished a motor swap.

Paint the frame/inner fenders/ firewall. Hot water pressure washer takes off the factory frame coating with ease.

Big 3 upgrade

Replace any worn out steering linkages
JonToski187 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Wow that is pretty detailed I think all do all of that besides polish the AC components, relocated the coils. I don't know exactly how the turbo kit will fit so I will probably route and protect the electrical lines and such as I assemble the turbo kit. Do most people relocate their coils when they put in a turbo do to the heat they make? So of that stuff I need to research where it is and what it is like "weatherpacks". Vacuuming the cabin intake sounds like an awesome idea have to find it first lol.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wretched73
I'll add to this since I just finished a motor swap.

Paint the frame/inner fenders/ firewall. Hot water pressure washer takes off the factory frame coating with ease.

Big 3 upgrade

Replace any worn out steering linkages
I probably won't paint unless there is some unseen benefit I don't know about. I have a Harbor Freight pressure washer it's not heated and I know it's not super strong (750psi) it says... Any degresser you can recommenced that won't eat at any parts or metal if it sits for a while? I've heard that issue with simple green. Also what is big 3 upgrade? I know I'll have to upgrade my fuel system so I didn't include that kind of stuff.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by JonToski187
I probably won't paint unless there is some unseen benefit I don't know about. I have a Harbor Freight pressure washer it's not heated and I know it's not super strong (750psi) it says... Any degresser you can recommenced that won't eat at any parts or metal if it sits for a while? I've heard that issue with simple green. Also what is big 3 upgrade? I know I'll have to upgrade my fuel system so I didn't include that kind of stuff.
My frame has surface rust so i wanted to clean that off and paint it. I wanted to whole surface clean so i wanted the factory frame coating off. Pressure washer might work, I've had the best luck with simple green, anything purple is very corrosive, especially to aluminum. Hot water pressure washer can sometimes be rented, it literally melts the coating off. I know others who have uses a wire cup brush on a drill with success.

Search BIG 3 mod, you upgrade the factory grounds to heavy gauge cable. I replaced the factory grounds, alternator wire, and starter wire. The alt and starter were probably over kill but i had the time and the wire anyway.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Weatherpacks and GT150s are the connectors our trucks use for everything. They have a little rubber seal, some times they fall off, tear, swell, etc. Its between the male and female side of all the connectors.

I like Purple Power and any purple equivalent, but keep it off the aluminum, it oxidizes and etches.

Big three is a good one, for sure.

Cabin air intake is on the passenger side, under the cowl. Need to remove the cowl to get to it, and Im telling you, watch out for that plastic barb in the middle.

Cant help with the coil heat answer, Im a blower guy, but my tuner has a 240z with an LQ9 in it, TT and downpipes are right next to the coils and it hasnt been a problem for him.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

motor mounts
arthursc2 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I am going to try and do a full write up on installing a 5.3 and the turbo kit with prices and pictures. Ill try the green stuff and stay away from the purple stuff and try and redo the 3 big wires. The truck has 0 rust on it so probably won't paint. I will get new weather packs because as I was starting to go through the steps of removing the block I found a torn weather pack on the ground. I will start a build thread today for everything I'm going to do with prices and pic etc. This site has helped me a lot it is time to give back.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Also what is this "cowl" you guys speak of I only know it in reference of crotch rockets because I use to have one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things to do when an engine is out