Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tailgate cable recall -venting-

Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received my recall as well...I replaced the cables over 18 months ago!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mabey they decided to add a few more to the list recently. I have had mine for 2+ years. I load motorcycles in and out quit often, So I have replaced them a few times I just considerd it a wear item. Did a search and found this old post.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer16
did they have the recall on the 99 silverados?
The '99 model year was included. I just got my cables replaced yesterday, and I also noticed the half torn off "Made in China" stickers on my cables. That isn't cool at all!!! I can't believe that they didn't want to hide the fact that they're using imported parts to fix a recall. Maybe they're better...maybe they're not. Either way it just doesn't look good.

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer16
but i didnt buy my trucks new
I didn't buy my truck new either, and I still got the recall notice. I believe the vehicle manufacturers use the BMV to find who the vehicles in question are registered to, and that's who get the notices. In fact, I've gotten two recall notices since buying my truck in August 2004. The first one was the abs sensor recall last Fall and now the tailgate cable recall.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was unloading my 2wd honda rancher and u guessed it..
SNAP! both cables broke, tailgate hit the bumper, weight of me and 4wheeler broke the hinges, bent the corners of tailgate.
Called GM to see what i could do to get it fixed. They told me to get it fixed and send them a copy of the bill. Then they would have to review it. I wasnt goin to pay $900-1000 to get my tailgate fixed, just to let GM look over the bill.
went by my local stealership and got some new ones..
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

i just did a search for some stainless straps and i found these:

stainless tailgate straps
Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I was loading a lawn mower and roller when my pass side strap broke. Twisted the tailgate but I got it close with a couple of hours work. The dealer GAVE me a new strap because they new of the recall but didn't have the new straps yet. Then replaced both when they got the "stainless" ones in. I don't load the roller in the truck anymore.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leochevy2001
i just did a search for some stainless straps and i found these:

stainless tailgate straps
Thanks for the link... looks like a last resort. I'm not a fan of how they look. I found some cables on ebay. They claim to be stronger than stock but don't mention the recall. I want to stay away from the 'one's longer than the other' problem. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine is a 99 and i just recieved the recall about a week ago. about 1 year too late. i am also the third owner, i wouldnt think they would go back that far but they did. also cant you buy the stainless straps and send chevy the bill they should pay for it. i believe in was in the recall notice.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is out of the service procedure paper work-----
Important: Depending on the condition of the tailgate and related parts, one of the two new support cables (either left or right) may NOT be tight (taut) when the tailgate is fully open. This condition may be caused by several factors including a damaged hinge, pickup box, or the tailgate itself may be slightly bent due to overloading at some previous time. Replacing either or both support cables a second time will NOT correct this condition. Replacement of any additional parts to correct this condition will NOT be covered under this recall.
Somthing only has to be bent just the slightest amount for this to happen, may not even be able to tell from just looking at it.

Also-usually if one or both cables stick out from between the tailgate and taillamp-
The left and right side cables could be installed on the wrong side or 2 cables for one side were used. Hard to believe, but yes, there is a right side and left side cable.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NothinButBowTies
I dont think they included 99, only 2000 and up
i got mine replaced last week after i received the letter the day before.

Pat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate cable recall -venting-