Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tailgate cable recall -venting-

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody knows, but i dont htink mine are weak , when i go to the beach i put like 600 pounds or more wort of guys and nothing happens to the tailgate
Old 12-29-2004, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer16
nobody knows, but i dont htink mine are weak , when i go to the beach i put like 600 pounds or more wort of guys and nothing happens to the tailgate
So you like to got to the beach and load up on guys huh...

Old 12-29-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

I had mine replaced yesterday. They both seem to be the same length, but the passenger side cable sticks out between the tailgate and tail light when the gate is shut. F'n Chinese crap!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Launching!

My Dad waited to get his replaced, as the dealer told him they had not come in yet. We were loading our motorcycles up and the driver side cable snapped. You could see it had rusted all the way through. I wouldn't wait too long to get them, they can look fine from the outside and be very weak on the inside.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fandango
[rant]
Last night I took my truck in to get the tailgate cable recall done. I had not noticed anything wrong with the cables I had on there already, but I figured it was about time to get 'em done, with safety, and my shiny paint in mind.

Got the truck back tonight, and the freaking cables have a "made in china" sticker on them. What a f@cking load of ****. And to top it off, the passenger side one is longer than the drivers side. So all the weight of the tailgate is on one cable. Imagine when I actually put weight on it.

I cant believe that they cant build a set of tailgate cables here in america, to employ a worker here. Rather than that I have to get some low quality **** on my truck. I want my old cables back.

[/rant]

The one service writer there was helpful in getting something done about it. I should recieve a call this morning about their plan of fixing it.
Had mine replaced while it was in there for other reasons and my cables were the exact same way. One was a tad longer than the other. The "made in Chins" stickers are cheesey but the thing that concerns me is that i thought these were supposed to be stainless steel cables. Go stick a magnet on them! A magnet doesn't stick to 300 series stainless which is corrosion resistant. 400 series stainless is not corrosion resistant and magnets will stick. How did they improve them?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
So you like to got to the beach and load up on guys huh...

Old 12-29-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03GMC2500HD
Had mine replaced while it was in there for other reasons and my cables were the exact same way. One was a tad longer than the other. The "made in Chins" stickers are cheesey but the thing that concerns me is that i thought these were supposed to be stainless steel cables. Go stick a magnet on them! A magnet doesn't stick to 300 series stainless which is corrosion resistant. 400 series stainless is not corrosion resistant and magnets will stick. How did they improve them?

They put sealer on the ends of the cables to keep water out. The old cables were open on the end and water would get in the ends with the gate closed. It would then collect in the bottom of the cable because of the black coating and then it would rust out.
I got mine a while back and they seem to be the same length but I didn't think they were stainless either.

LK
Old 12-30-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sportfish
Had mine replaced a couple of months ago and noticed the same...made in China and one cable longer than the other. I've heard the same complaint from a few others. I really like my Silverado, but after experiencing out-of-round tires, intermediate steering shaft replacement, tail gate cable recall, and now some mysterious new front end rattle, all on a brand new truck, I just wonder how long the US manufacturers can produce vehicles at this quality level and compete with the Japanese.
This is something that really burns my *** too! Its the American citizens that are being replaced by chinese workers by our greedy corporate managers. you know the guys....upper management farts who really do nothing but collect a huge pay check and live in 6000 square foot houses with a trophy wife and 2.3 children, the look at me I'm rich crowd. Its all about getting the money NOW, not saving investing and working hard. Whats really sad is that the Japanese are doing the same crap, they may have a little more control over quality when outsourcing to China because they don't have to cross an ocean to check up on things. The misconception is that we are the only ones outsourcing to China, everyone is doing it. I work in manufacturing and the last 4-5 years have been hell!! In ten years we will have polluted China's lands so badly because of laxxed environmental laws we will be paying to clean up that mess too. DON"T BUY CRAP FROM CHINA, we are all guilty of this to some extent but if you can...buy American!!
There I feel better.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

I hear ya guys. It made me sad to see those stickers on those cables. I just hope we dont turn into a service only industry. I like buying stuff that says "made in america" and will go out of my way to get it.

I went back to the dealership and talked with the service manager about the problem with the cables. He and a tech brought out the service bulletin and performed a test outlined in it, on the passenger side hinge. I passed the test, and GM won't give me another set of cables. I read it out of the bulletin itself. So now I have to take my complaints to GM.

They will hear from me!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

well i had to find out the hard way that the cables are ****. i have a friend thats pretty heavy and one night he decides to sit on my tailgate he broke the straps and the tailgate luckly dind't get messed up to bad. it only hit a screw that holds the roll pan in. I was pissed so i went to the delarship that day and got new ones. i have a 2000

Quick Reply: Tailgate cable recall -venting-