PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   stuck fan on water pump (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/stuck-fan-water-pump-516090/)

40series 03-29-2013 12:15 PM

stuck fan on water pump

i need help in getting the fan off the water pum its off the truck n ive tried everything . the nut is not threaded an it only slip fits over the the hub on the pump bit it wont budge this shouldnt bee this hard pipe wrench or banging from the rear does not get it moving

help fellas

03sierraslt 03-29-2013 12:22 PM

Never seen one that was not threaded. You sure about that.

40series 03-29-2013 12:34 PM

maybe i over looked something

i looked @ thhe replacement part n the new pump dont seem to look threaded @ the fan this job is down due to this life sucks now i can do this

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt (Post 5086121)
Never seen one that was not threaded. You sure about that.

thunder550 03-29-2013 12:38 PM

Your new water pump might be designed for an electric fan truck if it's not threaded. For the fan on your current truck, sometimes putting a big pipe wrench or something similar on the fan nut and whacking it with a mallet or sledge hammer will do the trick (have to have the belt on it still to keep the pulley from turning). I've heard of people taking power chisels and hitting the nut directly with them to break it loose as well.

40series 03-29-2013 12:54 PM

thanks man

Originally Posted by thunder550 (Post 5086129)
Your new water pump might be designed for an electric fan truck if it's not threaded. For the fan on your current truck, sometimes putting a big pipe wrench or something similar on the fan nut and whacking it with a mallet or sledge hammer will do the trick (have to have the belt on it still to keep the pulley from turning). I've heard of people taking power chisels and hitting the nut directly with them to break it loose as well.

i was thinking air chisel too might have to go out n get one of those

40series 03-29-2013 02:00 PM

air chisel not working

air chisel is NOT WORKING on this fan nut WTF im getting pissed my truck is down shit !

this thing is not even budging

03sierraslt 03-29-2013 02:35 PM

I found the easiest way is with the pump on the truck and the belt on to hold the pulley. Put a big crescent wrench on the nut and give it a hit with a hammer.

1994Vmax 03-29-2013 06:50 PM

I use the blade holding tool that came with my makita grinder to hold the water pump pulley. The pulley has holes in it and just slip one of the teeth on the tool in and then apply pressure while I use a 24" crecent wrench on the fan pulley. Comes off like butter....... and then goes in the trash for e fans lol.

GMCtrk 03-29-2013 08:02 PM

Spray penetrating oil on the nut/threads. Then stuff a towel in the sepentine belt area to lock up the belt. Then put a huge crescent wrench on the nut and take baseball bat swings at it with a rubber mallet. That's my method. The key is having the crescent wrench tight on the nut.

40series 03-29-2013 08:05 PM

air chisel not working

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax (Post 5086270)
I use the blade holding tool that came with my makita grinder to hold the water pump pulley. The pulley has holes in it and just slip one of the teeth on the tool in and then apply pressure while I use a 24" crecent wrench on the fan pulley. Comes off like butter....... and then goes in the trash for e fans lol.

a i r hammer didint work wtf some thing is wrong with this picture ,,,... i will mention the fan was hitting the shroud a bit on turns ' sometimes' idk if it wore some how and created some un even suface so the fan cant come off????? i know this is a stretch .... ive done this job before and that NUT is a mother f er i ve braced it with punches through the hole thing ... dint work , pipe wrench didnt work,,, air hammer not working .................:sigh: