PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Stock ride height measurements (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/stock-ride-height-measurements-547399/)

dantheman1540 01-09-2017 05:57 PM

Stock ride height measurements

I am thinking of changing up my rear suspension by swapping to a set of Deaver leaf Springs and bypass shocks. I am trying to figure out how much lift I currently have.

The current set up is stock leafs and shackle with NO block, fabtech add a leaf, off road design ladder bar and billstien 5100s that are a little to stiff.

After talking to Deaver today I tossed the idea of spring under and I think I may go with a set of their 4in lift Springs. I don't think my truck is lifted 4in more like maybe 2in. So I figured I would also order a longer set of shackles that would drop the height and give more articulation.

I measured the height of my truck from ground to middle of the wheel well and here are my measurements. On slightly sloped towards driver side parking lot. I also have 285/70/17s

(39.5 passenger rear) (38.2 driver rear)

(39.5passenger front) (38.5 driver front)

Anybody with a bone stock truck have ride height measurements handy? Or mind taking them?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...730f67e3b4.jpg

rocknZ71 01-09-2017 07:15 PM

I will run out at half time and grab mine if I can help. I'm not stock but the only changes are; 3 inch block in place of factory 2 inch and 305/65/17 BFG's in place of the the OE Firestone 265/75/16's. Should be able to get ballpark. Hell when I bought the truck new back in '01, I almost walked out on the dealer because he didn't want to put Wrangler ATS 285's on. Told him it was bullshit that a 32k Z-71 truck came with rinky dink street tires.

dantheman1540 01-09-2017 07:56 PM

That would be awesome! Yeah I think anything under 285s looks silly. Why did you go up to a 3in block? lift the front?

rocknZ71 01-09-2017 08:06 PM

Yeah, it rubbed once I put the Weld's on even though they're only 8". I believe it was a kit from Tuff Country with different keys, blocks and shocks. After destroying the factory ball joints, I added Cognito upper A arms and braces for the pitman and idler arms. Would love to do Atomic's coilover conversion like you did but it's gonna have to wait.:(

dantheman1540 01-09-2017 08:12 PM

I want to do the cognito upper A arms really bad the braces have helped a ton! I really need to get rid of the fabtech front lift bracket and go back to stock so I have more uptravel Im running very close to the bump stops right now.

The coilover swap is amazing best thing ive done to the truck!

rocknZ71 01-09-2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by dantheman1540 (Post 5393813)

The coilover swap is amazing best thing ive done to the truck!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just rub it in!:dewey:
The Cognito arms helped the front quite a bit. At least from what I remember anyway. They've been on the truck since late 2010 I think.

rocknZ71 01-09-2017 09:21 PM

May not help but I came up with 37 3/4" on both sides. Tried to put a straight edge on the tire to measure height but got a little complicated trying to hold straight edge, tape measure and flashlight app all at the same time. Tire was roughly 31 1/4" which seems small for even BFG. Normally run 35lbs in rear tires when not towing or hauling but it's been sitting for way too long. I'll check tire pressures tomorrow and report back. Also bear in mind that I have a ECSB with a sub box, a toolbox 1/4 way full of shit and I'm sure some other shit to add extra weight.

rocknZ71 01-09-2017 09:48 PM

Btw the front measurements were 37 3/4" passenger and a whopping 38 5/8" driver side! :eek2:

When I changed keys and blocks I set the ride height by parking the truck in the middle of a 22' deep x 28' wide garage supposedly poured to drain from a box set in the center and putting a 2' level on the door sills. Both sides were then leveled according to the level.

dantheman1540 01-09-2017 10:22 PM

Wow that surprises me alot! I didnt think my truck was lifted that much but its so hard to tell just by eyeing it.

Strange your driver side is higher usually I hear people say the driver side sags because of the weight of the driver and gas tank all the time.

Those cognito arms are close to what I paid for my coilover swap! did you get the uniball or ball joint ones?

rocknZ71 01-09-2017 10:36 PM

They have the ball joints. I don't recall the uni-ball being an option back then (roughly late 2010/early 2011) but won't swear to it.

I'm disappointed.:( I thought it was a little higher. The truck is sitting on fairly level ground that probably slants everything towards passenger side rear. I'll check tire pressures tomorrow in daylight and without beer goggles (maybe). The driver front being that high has me a little bumfuzzled because I checked the ride height after I changed keys, realignment, then changed arms and realignment. But right now she's sitting where the rollback dropped her 6 months ago. I've got to get my ass in gear!