GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

spare tire hoist......

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default spare tire hoist......

Hey guys,
tried to let the spare tire down for some room when working on the rear hangers. It only came down like 1/4 of the way. Finally got it off the truck; it's still stuck no matter what I seem to do. Can this be fixed? Is it worth fixing? Where can I get one at reasonable cost..........
TIA

Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

The factory one is retarded because it has a secondary latch hook encased under that rubber boot. You have to lift up on the spring at the bottom of the cable with the trucks jack as you try to let the tire to release the latch.

Simple solution.... cut the tabs off the secondary latch and then it works like a normal winch cable. Or.. buy a new winch without the secondary latch which really isn't all that expensive.

The idea of the latch is the cable passes through it and in the event the cable broke with the tire up the tire can't come out from under the truck like a missle lol. It's common as stuff rusts away and especially when people let the spare tire fill right to the top even with mud and gravel.... gets really heavy and busts the cable. The latch holds that piece that goes through the hub hole in the rim to the winch body.

I bought new winches.... my 04 never had a winch at all when I got the truck and my 05's latch screwed up so I cut it.... then the winch bound itself up one time while I was dropping the tire so I bought a new one for it too.

Peel that rubber condom off and you will see the latch system and how it keeps the tire from dropping even though you lower the winch cable.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I myself have only seen the problem when people remove the original spare and over tighten them when re-installing.

Every truck that I have owned that has had an original Spare tire that was never removed has always come down for me.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I might have one laying around, i pulled it when it was new, i can check on Sunday. I have seen them on eBay tho
Old 08-05-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

All cool- guys. Gonna goto the boneyard Monday anyhow. ,got the truck used so no telling what happened to it........
Old 11-13-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I myself have only seen the problem when people remove the original spare and over tighten them when re-installing.

Every truck that I have owned that has had an original Spare tire that was never removed has always come down for me.
You must not get snow?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Even after checking around several yards for stuff, I would find that every one of these that was still on the trucks was there because the truck was being held up by steelies under the spare tire. I eventually just bought one off ebay for $40 shipped in new condition. Good luck on the yard, Id say ebay is the easiest. Craigslist if you can find someone parting close enough who isn't trying to get too much. I see you're in NM, so local ones would be good..
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

You can have mine. Just pay shipping.

It's about 18 months old and it's in the way of my 4ton jack. Lol.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Still moddin'

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Geting ready to remove mine too. Going to mount my spare vertically in the bed. It's yours if you need it.