GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

rear disk brake help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default rear disk brake help

hey guys!

my rear brakes was shot so i replaced the pads, rotors & hardware also cleaned and greased the slide pins put it all back together and now the rear brakes are getting hot, smell & even the rotors are blueing a little from the heat. temp gun showed 597 degrees right rear and 460 left rear both fronts was around 200 degrees driving normal for about 5 miles locally

every thing is moving freely its a texas truck so not really any rust on the parts to speak of i used a C clamp to push the caliper pistons back in

any thing to try before i swap calipers? no problems before just pads wore out
Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Pretty common for the rear calipers to stick and cause the problems. I see it all the time up here in the north.

I may be worthwhile to bleed the rear brakes and see if it helps any.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes the slide grooves in the new pads arent cut properly. I had the same problem after changing pads and had to file the the grooves open so the pads would slide freely. They should slide in the caliper very easily.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

FFDP i'll try to bleed them and see if it helps?

Black04 pad move pretty easy every thing is clean nothing feels like its stuck or binding

i need to figure this out today be towing my car to RPM trans tomorrow with this truck (hopefully)

Edit: messed around with it today, calipers was hanging nothing i did would get them to fully release unless i banged on them with a hammer from the back side bleeding didnt do any thing so i replaced both rear, when i bleed them the fluid was black for the first few cracks of the bleeders after the swap and bleeding fluid is much better looking but i think next weekend i might flush the system

thanks

Last edited by stroker87; 05-30-2017 at 06:01 PM.