Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Project truck / sleeper truck advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project truck / sleeper truck advice needed

Hey guys. Looking for a pickup that I can drive and maybe in a year or two turn into a sleeper type truck. My first built truck was a 2wd 77 c10 with a 454 out of a dually. So I've got that itch for performance in my blood.

So I'm 6'5 350lbs for reference when thinking about a truck to pick , so s10s are mostly out of my picks , also since I am in florida where you get hurricanes and sometimes lightly flooded roads. What I've been looking at is 99 or newer 2wd silverados. Reason for 2wd is that I don't like the newer transfer cases /chain drive cases. My initial cash budget is $4k to buy a truck (including tint, maybe a radio, maybe alarm ,etc ).

My first choice seems to be the 03 or newer as they have the double din radio dash and nicer door panel designs, but that is near the 4k budget I've alotted, or I can get a 99 for around 2500 but most of them near 250k miles and its a din and a half radio opening. Originally I wanted a v6 for gas mileage as this was going to be my run around truck and 3rd vehicle.

For the transmission I'm not sure if I should go manual or automatic. As manual would be cheaper to repair and I'm not sure what the stock transmission can take for power.

Which liter motor am I better going with as far as reliability , power, aftermarket parts , or is it all the same block and just different piston bores ? My thought is to make this truck a sleeper via most likely turbo setup and even keep stock exhausts sound if possible ( ie quiet and not flowmasters ) , the setup would be daily driver reliable and rarely ever ran on the track. It would have stock wheels and maybe tint and a nav radio for the inside since I live in the not the best neighborhood and no one really messes with a stock truck.

Sorry if it all seems vague , but I'm trying to plan long term so I buy the right truck and not having to spend more money on different parts or different trucks than needed. The last Chevy I had was a 95 4x4 Tahoe with the 5.7 tbi motor.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99-02 rcsb 4x4 5.3/auto. Best sleeper platform foe the money IMO. Swap to a 4l80 with a good converter and a nitrous kit. Gear accordingly. That will beat the majority of things you run into on the street. Boost gets expensive fast.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

what does the rcsb mean. and why 4x4. are the transfer cases better than years before ? the np241 I had sucked when the chain would stretch and cost $1k to repair
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by full foot notch
what does the rcsb mean. and why 4x4. are the transfer cases better than years before ? the np241 I had sucked when the chain would stretch and cost $1k to repair
Rcsb=regular cab short bed. 4x4 because of traction. Really don't know what options there are for transfer cases, but there are some guys putting down some hefty power with 4x4. Shouldn't be a issue getting one to take the power, but I don't have the info to help there. I went the 2wd way and regret it.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Rcsb=regular cab short bed. 4x4 because of traction. Really don't know what options there are for transfer cases, but there are some guys putting down some hefty power with 4x4. Shouldn't be a issue getting one to take the power, but I don't have the info to help there. I went the 2wd way and regret it.
why do you regret it ?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

why do you regret it ?
Traction
Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Teching In

what power range are you. I was thinking 500-600hp range
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

what power range are you. I was thinking 500-600hp range
Power range I am not sure of now. My old setup was a cam only 5.3 with a 3500 converter. I couldn't leave hard on any street tire I tried. Maybe some radials, but I was probably only around 320whp then. Took that same converter and put it into a can only awd tbss, and it would leave like a rocket on street tires. 4wd and a big converter goes a long way on the street.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Teching In

can any other members comment on the strength /durability of the newer transfer cases. I'm ignorant on the newer transfer cases.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

NP 241 and 246 should handle just about anything. Its Achilles heel is the pump wearing the hole in the case but it's cheap prevention to put in the kit. You never year about those transfer cases packing it in otherwise.

+2 on the higher stall torque converter and 4wd. I wish I had a 3600rpm converter sometimes.

Quick Reply: Project truck / sleeper truck advice needed