PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Pitman arm tips (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/pitman-arm-tips-556497/)

40series 12-23-2019 10:53 AM

Pitman arm tips

You guys have any pitman arm removal tips I have a 04 . I have a air hammer and air tools

arthursc2 12-23-2019 11:35 AM

Pitman arm puller. I rented it, I think it was OTC, might have been the brand "OEM"

no other way to do it

00pooterSS 12-23-2019 01:08 PM

I use pitman arm pullers if possible. If not I use my air hammer.

There have been many times I couldn't access the nut with a socket and used an air hammer to get the nut off and back on. Sounds like it wouldn't work but you can easily get over 150ish ft lbs of torque on a nut with a good air hammer. Spec is 184 ft lbs and i've pulled several nuts with the air hammer and they come right off. I hammer the new nut down until the new pitman arm fully seats on the shaft in the spot the old pitman did. (I say all that since you aren't technically torquing the nut)

Do everything you can to use the pitman arm puller to keep stress off the gear box, and they just make it super easy.

40series 12-23-2019 07:01 PM

What spline count?

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS (Post 5474101)
I use pitman arm pullers if possible. If not I use my air hammer.

There have been many times I couldn't access the nut with a socket and used an air hammer to get the nut off and back on. Sounds like it wouldn't work but you can easily get over 150ish ft lbs of torque on a nut with a good air hammer. Spec is 184 ft lbs and i've pulled several nuts with the air hammer and they come right off. I hammer the new nut down until the new pitman arm fully seats on the shaft in the spot the old pitman did. (I say all that since you aren't technically torquing the nut)

Do everything you can to use the pitman arm puller to keep stress off the gear box, and they just make it super easy.

do I have a 3 spline or 4 spline pitman arm? with a 04 Silverado 4 wheel drive ?

00pooterSS 12-23-2019 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 40series (Post 5474129)
do I have a 3 spline or 4 spline pitman arm? with a 04 Silverado 4 wheel drive ?

Not sure you'll have to look

Oh and originally you asked for tips. This is a great video with several tips and it's on a avalanche so the procedure should be the same for yours

RySmDPT14 12-24-2019 05:02 AM

I used a 20 ton 3 jaw pulled to get mine off (2012 2500). Use a mirror and flashlight to count the splines, of course you will likely have to cleanse it with brakecleen first to see through the dirt.

ILuvJDM 12-24-2019 05:37 AM

Be prepared to loosen the steering box if you can't get your tool on, I had to do that.

I believe I removed the sway bar mounts and let it hang as well to get more space in there.

edit: and on the spline count, you'll need to physically go look. Do not take anyone's word on what spline count is on your truck, just make sure you go push up the seal a bit and look. 2 splines 90° apart will be a 4 spline obviously. You wouldn't believe how many Amazon reviews for the Moog pitman arm talked about having the wrong arm for their truck even though Amazon said it would fit. Always look yourself first to save the heartache.

40series 01-11-2020 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=00pooterSS;5474133]Not sure you'll have to look

Oh and originally you asked for tips. This is a great video with several tips and it's on a avalanche so the procedure should be the same for yours

I noticed the heat on the gear box I am concerned about melting any seals on the gear box from heat

RB04Av 01-11-2020 07:17 PM

I used a Pitman arm puller from Advance or AZ or some such, a whole bunch (not just part of a bunch) of PB Blaster, and then at the end, a gentle tap from a BFH. I dosed it with the Blaster for a day or 2 beforehand, put the puller on as tight as I dared, then *gently* tapped the arm with my BFH. I did not BEAT THE HELL out of it. Well, not much, anyway. I didn't even have to use heat.

It jumped right off.

00pooterSS 01-12-2020 05:25 PM

I've never had to use heat so far. I have had to tap the arm a couple of times with a hammer with the puller on real tight to help the arm move. But that's also rare.

You don't usually need to hit the arm downward, just tap on it and the tapping will help it break free, that's if it doesn't pop off with the puller alone.