Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

20"s slow you down!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:42 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20"s slow you down!!!?

Has anyone noticed a big or moderate drop in E.T. when switching back from custom wheels to their stockers? I would apperciate any numbers posted!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default 20" wheels

My 20" Eagles that I put on slowed me down just a little. I haven't been to the track lately with the new wheels. If I were to make a guess, it would slow you down about 5 tenths of a second.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MPFD
Has anyone noticed a big or moderate drop in E.T. when switching back from custom wheels to their stockers? I would apperciate any numbers posted!
Its all in how you look at it. The way I see it, they give you a need to do more mods so that you can make up for them. 20's are for show, they are not a performance wheel. That being said, my centerlines are very light for a 20' wheel, but yes you would see better performance out of a smaller wheel and tire combo.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I ran 14.56 at 94.8 with my 20" Boyd Cottingtons and with stocks i ran a 14.59 at 95.2. Not much of a differance here.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Chrome wheels you will see a large difference between them and stockies cause they are solid and weigh a ton. Aluminum or polished wheels are much lighter and wont make that much of a difference.

If your looking for a nice set of 20's and you want to keep most of your performance, get polished wheels. Takes a little longer to make them look good but when they are clean and polished, they look 100 times better than chrome and dont weigh anywhere near as much.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPFD
I will never put 20" wheels on my vehicles just for this reason. I bought a set of new take off silverado SS wheels for my truck. Put them on and took 1 trip around the block and they came right back off. I was so disappointed with the loss in performance I said I'm never running a 20" wheel again. It also destroyed braking performance as well. I learned my lesson and will keep my stock 16's.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Well those factory SS wheels are tanks! They weigh a ton!

Get you a nice set of billet wheels and you wont notice as much of a difference. It will cost you a little more though. Well worth it if you wanna build your truck for both show and go!!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didnt notice much difference in mine. Some people on here whine too much about being able t "FEEL" a diffence. Its so slight you probly wont feel a differnce. Put 20's on they look 10X better than punny 16's, Stop being a baby and do it.!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

I went 13.94 @ 100mph on my 20s and 13.43 @ 100 mph with my stock wheels with slicks, id say they make a difference lol.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Well take it from a guy runnin 22's... Put the 20s on and drive it! Keep the 16's in the garage for the track! To me, it is 10 times more impressive to see a nice looking truck on a nice set of wheels than a truck that sittin on stockies but is .2 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile. I love a good looking truck and that why im doing mine all for show. I mean, im putting the little stuff like Intake, pacesetters and y pipe with a nice muffler, maybe a gear and a performance tune but thats it. I want it to be faster then stock but still roll clean as hell all the time.

Im also driving a crew cab so i dont care about going fast as much as some of you guys do. I had a nice 2001 RCSB 5.3 with mods and it was fun and faster than my new truck but had absolutely no room in it at all! Just me and my girl going to and from school with our books and **** was cramped. Id rather ride in comfort with extra room to put your stuff and even take some buddies with you without being all crammed in at all. You can do much more with a system in a crewcab too. Yea, its not as fast but i dont really care. It all just depends on what you want. Id like to have both but its not in my budget right now. I had to either choose to go fast or roll clean in comfort and since i already did the fast thing and it wasnt as good for a daily driver, i decided to go the other route.

Point is, do whatever you want. I would put the 20's on and drive it.

Quick Reply: 20"s slow you down!!!?