PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Mirror Question (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/mirror-question-441193/)

OneQwikSS 05-16-2009 08:50 PM

Mirror Question

hey for those of us with RCSB...we obviously have no rear defrosters...my truck apparently came equipped with heated mirrors because it has the 2 wires behind the mirror...my question is how can we activate the mirror defroster when we don't have a rear defroster ((heated mirrors are supposed to be activated upon turning on the rear defroster))

Camaro Zach 05-16-2009 08:57 PM

hit the square defroster button on your climate controls

2000Redstep 05-16-2009 09:04 PM

Mine has a rear window defroster/ heated mirrors activated by a defrost button on the heater control panel.

D_reks{5.3} 05-16-2009 09:12 PM

^^ mines the same way..

budhayes3 05-16-2009 11:43 PM

I'm guessing that 2004RST doesn't have a rear defroster button, since he doesn't have a rear defroster, but his truck is wired for heated mirrors. My truck doesn't have a rear defroster, and there's no button for it. I see a blank space where it probably would be though, right next to the AC button. I wonder if the instrument panel wiring harness has the connector for the defroster button and it's just a matter of installing a button? Although knowing GM, something in the BCM would probably have to be programmed also. Here's a pic of my climate controls...I know that they're different than 03+, but as you can see there is no defroster button...

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0058_large.jpg

Parke10 05-17-2009 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Redstep (Post 4206478)
Mine has a rear window defroster/ heated mirrors activated by a defrost button on the heater control panel.

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3} (Post 4206489)
^^ mines the same way..

same here, i made sure mine had it when i bought it.

02_Orange_D1SC 05-17-2009 01:08 AM

im pretty sure snake oiler did the swap on his truck and it was just plug and play with the HVAC controls

budhayes3 05-17-2009 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen (Post 4206663)
im pretty sure snake oiler did the swap on his truck and it was just plug and play with the HVAC controls

That's cool, would it need a complete head unit or is the defrost switch available separately?

My truck came stock with a sliding rear window BTW, definitely no defroster there. I love having that rear window open when the weather's nice, makes for a nice breeze :cool:

OneQwikSS 05-17-2009 09:06 AM

okay good job on teling me to push the button guys if it wasn't for you i would have never known how it worked....anyway...

yeah i do not have a button for the heated mirrors or a rear defroster i really didn't think i had to say that but apparently you guys must think i drive my truck with my foot out the window & drool coming out of my mouth...basically what my question is....is do my heated mirrors work without the rear defroster button...i have to replace my mirror glass do i get the heated mirror glass or do i just get the regular electric mirror glass? thanks

budhayes3 05-17-2009 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2004RST (Post 4206748)
okay good job on teling me to push the button guys if it wasn't for you i would have never known how it worked....anyway...

yeah i do not have a button for the heated mirrors or a rear defroster i really didn't think i had to say that but apparently you guys must think i drive my truck with my foot out the window & drool coming out of my mouth...basically what my question is....is do my heated mirrors work without the rear defroster button...i have to replace my mirror glass do i get the heated mirror glass or do i just get the regular electric mirror glass? thanks

You mean are they automatic or something? Not sure but I doubt it. I'd take your current part to the dealer parts dept and show them what you have so you can get the right part ordered.

I thought that you were trying to figure out how to get your heated mirrors to function and looking for the parts to make that happen. If you don't have any plans to make your heated mirrors work, you could just get the glass that's cheapest. There may only be one available for all we know, since yours have the heating element yet you don't have a switch to control them...