PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Intermittent Hot Start Issue!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/intermittent-hot-start-issue-554529/)

comeaux818 01-12-2019 01:52 PM

Intermittent Hot Start Issue!!

Hows it going guys. Truck has a issue where it cranks fine if cold. Go to start an hour later it doesnt want to start. Only happens once out of ten times. 2003 silverado 5.3. Rewind back to November of '18. Walked out of store, go to start my truck and it wouldnt start in park. Put it in neutral and started first time. It then continued to do this occasionally until a month later it did it again and wouldnt start at all. I replaced the neutral saftey switch that evening and it ran fine for a couple of days.
Then it did it again. When you turn the key it has lights, power to everything and what not, but in the start position no sound or crank. I figured since i had to play with the key to get it to crank it must be the ignition switch. Replaced that in the on my lunch break in a restaurant parking lot. Worked great a few days, went to get my oil changed and then it pulled it again in oil lube bay. Tomorrow I'm gonna pull the starter and bring it in for a bench test. Only issue is it only does it when hot and only occasionally. I'm wondering if maybe any of you have had a similar issue? Thanks in advance. Also, once i figure it out I'm gonna post results.

stroker87 01-13-2019 02:21 PM

kinda leaning on the starter, i had a few truck do this and it was the starter each time

comeaux818 01-13-2019 03:27 PM

I just had the starter tested, tested good. I just dont want to take the 165 gamble.

arthursc2 01-13-2019 04:54 PM

Starter may very well be fine, but the solenoid is taking a shit when it's hot. I think you'd still hear the starter spin just not engage, but I don't know the power flow on the starter for out trucks

comeaux818 01-13-2019 06:34 PM

Yeah. So the starter on the nbs is an utter bitch to to get out. My truck has zero rust on it, i fought with it for close to 2 hours getting it out finally pulling the dipstick tube to get it out. Other then that i got it tested and it passed a few times in a row. Im going to buy a test light and the next time it acts up im starting to diagnose it then. If its passed the relay i know its the starter/solenoid, if not i know its between the ignition cylinder and the relay. Go figure i couldnt get it to act up today on my day off. Intermittent problems are the worst. Ive never had to deal with them, just seeing other on fourms have them. You cant diagnosis them until it acts up, and even if you fix it it kills your trust for the vehicles not knowing if its gonna rear its head. Im gonna put this on my youtube channel and document it so hopefully jt helps others when i fix it.

arthursc2 01-13-2019 06:45 PM

Huh. Even with long tubes I haven't had a problem with dropping the starter out the bottom.

Please let us know what you find. Sorry in advance if it's the starter and you have to pull it all out again

stroker87 01-13-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5455495)
but the solenoid is taking a shit when it's hot.

:stupid: we could be wrong but that sure sounds like the starter solenoid

another way to see if its the starter is the old bang on it with a hammer when its acting up on you, have some one crank on it while you beat it up before you pull it again

comeaux818 01-14-2019 04:42 PM

Yeah the only time it likes to happen is when i drive around for 15+ mins. Then it only happens every so often. Seems like the only time it likes to do it is on lunch at work. Then get stranded in a parking lot for 10-15 mins. Im a lead electrician usually running a crew but this last week ive had to be on site with the owner of the company with a big project and it happened twice last week on lunch. Im at the point of probably gonna just replace the starter just for the sake of it. Anyone been burned on remans before?God knows how many times that starter has been turned over in 200k miles. Also, thanks for your condolences:)

arthursc2 01-14-2019 06:29 PM

I explicitly do not buy remans, and Ive been burned with DOA parts, so I think its a crap shoot lol

stroker87 01-14-2019 07:22 PM

Ive had good luck with the more expensive reman starters (not the cheapest the offer)