GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

low lights on all the time??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Location: TEXAS: h'vill, smallest, boringest town u could ever dream of
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low lights on all the time??

dose anyone know the easyest/cheapest/fastest way to wire my head lights to where at night when i turn my brights on, the lows stay on to. so when i click it to brights to lows, the only thing that changes is the brights trun on and off???? i have a 2000 gmc rcsb 4.8.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cost: -$1
Tools: 7mm wrench, Needlenose pliers, 10mm socket and ratchet
Skill level: Beginners

Step 1:
Go to your local radioshack and purchase a 12v diode. I used the part number 1N4004 but any 12v diode will work. They come in a two pack and that is all you need is two.

Step 2:
-Remove the two screws holding the dash peice under your steering wheel column. After removing those two screws you will have to remove the E-Brake release lever using the 10mm socket and ratchet. After removing all those clear the E-brake release lever out of the way.

Step 3:
-Remove the dash panel. It may take a little work but there are two prongs at the top of it that are pushed in and may take a little force to remove it. Before I did all this I removed the fuse panel cover just in case. Be extra careful when doing this because you may pull out the upper part of the dash by the 4x4 switch.

Step 4:
-Under the dash in the center you will see Three 24 pin plugs. The plug you are looking for is on the left side. The 24 pin plug is divided into two sectinos up and down with 12 pins on top of one another. The very first pin on the top row is your high beams (wire colors black and white, T1). The fourth pin from the left side is your Daytime Running lights (wire colors green and black, T4). The low beams are on the second row fourth pin from the left (wire color pink, B4) and your fog lights are to the right of that, fifth pin from the left (wire color green and white, B5).

Step 5:
-This is the hardest part of this trick. After locating all the pins you then have to decide what you want to do. Your order should go like this.

If you want your high beams and low beams to stay on when the high beams are turned on connect the diode with the stripe facing the high beams to the low beams.

T1----|==---- B4.

If you want your fog lights to stay on with the highs and lows connect your other diode like this

T1----|==----B4
T1----|==----B5

This allows are your lights to stay on with the high beams enganged.

Notes:
-The hardest part about this process is getting the diode to stick in the pin. I have found that removing the plug does not help any. It is actually easier to leave it in and push the diode in with a pair of needle nose pliers. It may take a few times but you can check your self by turning on the lights. I'm not sure what other vehicles this trick may work on but it should work for most GM's I would think.

Good luck let us know how it works for ya, i have done this mod to my 2006 silverado and i even got it so that my fogs low beams and highs stay on at once with HIDS its Crazy!!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Question for Silverado 11... Where did you buy your HID's?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Read through this thread. It's long but tells you how. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=245919

The directions SILVERADO11 gave is for 03+ trucks. So it won't work on your 00'. The thread I posted starts out for 03+, but it does have how to do the pre 03's in it.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whiterhino
read through this thread. It's long but tells you how. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=245919

the directions silverado11 gave is for 03+ trucks. So it won't work on your 00'. The thread i posted starts out for 03+, but it does have how to do the pre 03's in it.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaron150
question for silverado 11... Where did you buy your hid's?
pilothid.com