PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Gen 4 engine bay instal a gen 3 motor (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/gen-4-engine-bay-instal-gen-3-motor-554189/)

WILLIAMN72 11-19-2018 10:38 PM

Gen 4 engine bay instal a gen 3 motor

I have a 2008 silverado with a 4.3 v6 with e38 ecu ... I want to swap in a gen 3 with a 411 ecu.

My question is::
When i remove the old 4.3 v6 motor and engine harness unpluging from fuse box.

Can i install a new 6.0 gen 3 and matching gen 3 engine harness AND ECU will it plug into the fuse box and run.

I have hp tuner to re-flash vats.

FFDP 11-19-2018 10:48 PM

No.

Nothing about the wiring between a 411 harness and a E38 harness/fuse block is the same.

E38's use can-bus, so there are tons more things going on with the whole vehicle harness and fuse blocks. If you used a 411 computer nothing else in your truck would function like normal ever again. You'd have no gauges, no working abs/stabilitrak among other things because all that stuff talks with each other through the PCM itself.

WILLIAMN72 11-19-2018 10:53 PM

Is there a way to install a gen 3 engine so all my gaguges will work .

FFDP 11-19-2018 11:00 PM

Re-wire the whole truck to a GEN 3 with a gen 3 dash.

Or get super fancy and become a wiring genius to figure out how to make a GEN 3 computer/harness spit out information into a newer style dash. Other than that I know of no way to get what you want, this is not a popular swap for a reason. Maybe someone makes some special wiring harness but it surely can't be cheap. Most guys that do this go full standalone wiring with something like a holley dominator with it's own screen.

You're best bet to make thing a seamless transition is to actually use a GEN 4 engine with GEN 4 wiring harness and fuse block. Along with anything else to make it all function together.

Richardman1992 11-20-2018 01:52 AM

Better yet, unless that truck has sentimental value, sell it and buy a truck that had a v8 from the factory. They should be cheap enough now that we’ve moved onto the K2xx platform

arthursc2 11-20-2018 12:48 PM

I would sell the Gen3 6.0 w/ harness and get an LY6/ L92 with harness. The E38 will be able to run either of these, and if you get a complete motor, will be mostly plug and play. Wont be cheap tho.

1FastBrick 11-20-2018 04:33 PM

Except the V6 in the GMT900 trucks run off an E37 which is different from the E38 that the V8 used...

The only Way to run a Gen3 Motor in The GMT 900 truck is to take it apart and swap the crank reluctor wheel to 58x. Then you would need a new front cover to run the correct cam sensor and a new timing chain set. You would also have to drill the block for knock sensors on the side.

It its far to expensive to buy all the parts to try and make something like this work. The best and easy thing to do is to sell what you have and buy a V8 truck.
You can convert your truck to a V8 but you will need to start with the correct engine platform and get the correct wiring harness and ECU for it.

Navi 11-22-2018 02:32 PM

What about the exact opposite of this? If I wanted to put an LY6 into a 2000 that came with a V6?

arthursc2 11-22-2018 03:16 PM

Use the E38 and the lingenfelter converter box and knock harness extension. Follow the rest of the v6 to v8 conversion.

Its not too bad

WILLIAMN72 11-22-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick (Post 5452391)
Except the V6 in the GMT900 trucks run off an E37 which is different from the E38 that the V8 used...

The only Way to run a Gen3 Motor in The GMT 900 truck is to take it apart and swap the crank reluctor wheel to 58x. Then you would need a new front cover to run the correct cam sensor and a new timing chain set. You would also have to drill the block for knock sensors on the side.

It its far to expensive to buy all the parts to try and make something like this work. The best and easy thing to do is to sell what you have and buy a V8 truck.
You can convert your truck to a V8 but you will need to start with the correct engine platform and get the correct wiring harness and ECU for it.

well i think i might be lucky went to a u pull it yard yesterday and found a 2008 silverado checked the vin and it cam with a 5.3 with 4 speed automatic the whole truck was striped except the whole complete un cut engine harness and ecu and trans comtroller reached under the torn apart dash and found the bcm so i got it to .. no fuel pump in tank but did have both fuel lines.and fittings. so all i should need is a gen4 6.0 and i should be read for install after i get new fuel pump. ill use stock trans for now till it goes am i missing anything?