Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Fuel System uprgrade 2002 Flex Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Replaced my fuel filter tonight, and I totally forgot about the flex fuel filters being a PITA. What I discovered is us OEM flex guys have bigger than 3/8" OD fuel lines. I need to measure but I'd say they are 1/2" (-8) as the tools for sale only go from 3/8 to 1/2. No 7/16 option I saw.

Just something neat I thought some ppl would care about.

Replacing my filter did nothing. Pump is louder now if anything and still goes lean up top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Replaced the pump with an OEM Flex Fuel pump. Super quiet, pulls all the way to redline and starts much better.

While I had the tank out I started mapping for the 044 inline pump build. But for now she is minty fresh and pulling hard. All 302 ponies are going
Old 10-02-2018, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't touch on any of the flex fuel stuff. Bc I have no experience there. But I have tried damn near every single and dual fuel pump setup with both NBS factory tanks and both buckets. I have found that running two pumps in series can overheat your fuel if you don't run the correct size lines. This is on hot summer days mostly after longer drives. But any pump cavitation is bad in my book. No matter what the conditions are.

I found the most reliable pump setup is actually running the Bosch 044 pump over the all the walbro pumps. The single 450 might flow more at first, but the quality isn't the same as the Bosch. So the pump wears out and in time the Bosch will continue flowing like the day you installed it. Keep in mind im not saying one is better than the other, but This is what I found from my personal experience.

the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the 044 is designed to be run horizontally. Not vertical. I found that you can run the 044 upright without issues if you have a large enough inlet at the sock and don't run any sort of extension from the sock to the inlet to restrict the flow. The 044 doesn't suck very well, so you need to have no restrictions going into the pump. Also make sure you run a quality check valve and ensure you have NO leaks on out outlet, and your return line is going through the stock return setup(if you have a return setup). You will have to drill out the Venturi jet to 1/8" to get the return to work correctly and Run at least -8an feed and return lines. Another key is to limit the 90* elbows wherever you can. A dedicated 10 gauge power to the pump on a relay is also a must.

Also Keep in mind that when converting to braided line, -6 isn't actually = to 3/8" line... Same with -8 not being = to 1/2" line... And so on... The braided stuff all runs slightly smaller I.D. For whatever reason.

I also decided to install a Hayden transmission cooler on the fuel return line right before it goes back into the tank.. I was getting cavitation on longer drives with all my dual pump setups. I'm sure Running aluminum fuel rails and a stroker motor doesn't help the situation, but I figured I'd add that into the mix for what it's worth..

If you are needing enough pump for 700rwhp, no single pump setup is going to cut it. Especially if running e85... I actually think that my setup on just motor with 55lb injectors is just enough for e85, but don't quote me on that, Bc I haven't tried it yet.