Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

front left axle removel

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front left axle removel

Hello i am having a hard time removing the left axle im trying to get the seal replace i tried the slide hammer and hitting it with a 2 pound hammer.

I NEED SUGGESTIONS

I HEARD A GUY SAY PUT A 12 INCH SCREW DRIVER ON ONE SIDE AND HIT THE OPPOSITE SIDE. I HAVN'T TRIED THIS YET
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I assume you took the 6 bolts out that hold the axle to the stub then the 1 axle nut on the front.

You may have to unbolt the shock to drop the axle out of the way.

The stub piece I push back in with my hands then I stick a pry bar going from left to right and smack the end of the pry bar with a hammer and the stub pops right out.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Pry bar between the flange and the diff, prybar against the seal if that makes sense and give it a nice sharp wack with a hammer.
Chunk of 2x4 or similar against the flange about where the bolts go thru and angled down towards the ground towards passenger side on opposite end,again nice hard wack with a hammer. This really only works when the truck is on a lift.
Hit the center of the flange into the diff once or twice then try prying/hitting it out again.
I use my little mini sledge.

Knock on wood but doing this ive always been able to get them out.

Worse case and ive seen it a few times now is diff has to be pulled and taken to a machine shop or someone else with a press.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Default x

Originally Posted by FFDP
I assume you took the 6 bolts out that hold the axle to the stub then the 1 axle nut on the front.

You may have to unbolt the shock to drop the axle out of the way.

The stub piece I push back in with my hands then I stick a pry bar going from left to right and smack the end of the pry bar with a hammer and the stub pops right out.
i can do all that but mine is going to be hard ive heard of people saying to hit each side of the shaft to center it that would en able the shaft to come out. Or put a wedge / drift on one side and hit the oppostite side to dis engage the dam shaft