Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Differences between early (99-02/03) and up trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I have converted 8 of these trucks to e fans and used the AD244. I have never had the oe shorter belt fit and it always maxes out the tensioner trying too. If you buy some shitty belt that stretches in could see it but any good quality one won't. So saying you can reuse it... well there is a pretty good chance you won't be.
I had a gates belt on my personal truck when I put the 145 amp on, it wasn't a shitty belt. It was the belt for the 105 amp. Still fit.

We've had different experiences, it's cool. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure you couldn't get the belt to work. I did. No biggie.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-24-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Well I am talking trucks and not F bodies with a different belt and accessory arrangement. Is what it is.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Well I am talking trucks and not F bodies with a different belt and accessory arrangement. Is what it is.
I shortened my post so it's easier to understand and took out all the talk about the F body stuff, seems you're missing that I mentioned several times that I did it on trucks too.

On the trucks, I can't remember for sure since I haven't done one in a while but I don't think any of the belts were new when I did the 145. None were cheap junk belts though, we don't put cheap junk belts on. It's possible the belt was stretched a little and that helped. I'll have to try the new short belt on the 145 amp some day just for *****. I prefer the short though, so I always use it. Helps when you have high revs and fast shifts.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I shortened my post so it's easier to understand and took out all the talk about the F body stuff, seems you're missing that I mentioned several times that I did it on trucks too.

On the trucks, I can't remember for sure since I haven't done one in a while but I don't think any of the belts were new when I did the 145. None were cheap junk belts though, we don't put cheap junk belts on. It's possible the belt was stretched a little and that helped. I'll have to try the new short belt on the 145 amp some day just for *****. I prefer the short though, so I always use it. Helps when you have high revs and fast shifts.
No I read your one or two truck comment but ignored it since all the rambling is about F body this and F body that. Like who the F body cares... lol.... may as well start talking about Windstars or Corollas at that point. Run the short belt on your stuff... whatever. However if I am telling someone how to do this I will recommend the proper belt that fits the TRUCK accessories thanks. I rev the snot out of my garbage and the only one I have tossed is the Nova.... and it's setup is sketchy bastardized truck accessories minus a pulley.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 04-24-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

F my body?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:18 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

when my stock 105 alternator went out, i replaced it with a 145 & had to get a longer belt.
also didn't catch if it was mentioned above, but 03+ also went with drive-by-wire throttle bodies & had a different computer/harness
Old 05-26-2019, 04:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by revrentzero
Thanks for the reply, i was already planning on e-fans and i did end up moving the radiator and condenser back 2" solved my issue and i wont need to cut the grill up or anything.
Any alternator bigger than the 105 amp is the large case, and needs the longer belt. I know I bought a 160amp alt at autozone, then later a 300amp for the stereo. The fans from the 07-13 is the superseded part number for the 05-06. The 7-13 fans use smaller blades, (and a I think its two more), about 5-10 more amps (20/25 - 30/35), so they could be designed to be a little quieter. You might then want the 160 amp alternator (although you may not need it). Should make it easier to find a better price by expanding the search if you haven't got them yet.

You can reuse the shorter belt if you want. I've done it several times on trucks and F bodys. I like reusing it because it helps keep the belt on (more tension). I had a F body that tossed the belt all the time on the 1-2 shift or it would at least squeal. After putting on a 145 amp alt it stopped doing it since the belt was tighter.
You're the first person that I've read about that reuses the belt, and hasn't had a problem. This causes squealing on the tensioner and extra drag on every other person I've read about who didn't know to change the belt. This caused them to have voltage problems, but somehow yours seemed to work fine. Any idea how much your belt is stretching before its time for you to do an E-fan conversion? New radiator, fans, coolant, and a tune, and you skimp on a new $20 belt?

But here's what I got out of this:
I had a F body that tossed the belt all the time on the 1-2 shift or it would at least squeal. After putting on a 145 amp alt it stopped doing it since the belt was tighter.
You were "throwing a belt all the time", and your solution "was to change the alternator".... That's all I needed to hear.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Belt tossing is almost always related to incorrect pulley alignments or the crank pulley is spinning, thus you should be looking at a pin kit.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
Belt tossing is almost always related to incorrect pulley alignments or the crank pulley is spinning, thus you should be looking at a pin kit.
This is very true. All the years I ran a blower setup, 6 rib, 8 rib etc. always made sure my pullies were aligned correctly and never once tossed a belt.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by adriver
Any alternator bigger than the 105 amp is the large case, and needs the longer belt. I know I bought a 160amp alt at autozone, then later a 300amp for the stereo. The fans from the 07-13 is the superseded part number for the 05-06. The 7-13 fans use smaller blades, (and a I think its two more), about 5-10 more amps (20/25 - 30/35), so they could be designed to be a little quieter. You might then want the 160 amp alternator (although you may not need it). Should make it easier to find a better price by expanding the search if you haven't got them yet.

You're the first person that I've read about that reuses the belt, and hasn't had a problem. This causes squealing on the tensioner and extra drag on every other person I've read about who didn't know to change the belt. This caused them to have voltage problems, but somehow yours seemed to work fine. Any idea how much your belt is stretching before its time for you to do an E-fan conversion? New radiator, fans, coolant, and a tune, and you skimp on a new $20 belt?

But here's what I got out of this:
You were "throwing a belt all the time", and your solution "was to change the alternator".... That's all I needed to hear.
That's not what I said AT ALL (about the belt throwing). It stopped doing it after I put the 145 on, never said that's the reason I put the 145 on. That car banged 2nd hard with the built trans and it would toss the belt. Alternator went out, put a 145 on it, problems with the belt stopped. And it was not an alignment issue, I've had to diagnose 100's of those issues at the shop.

I put a 145 amp on my truck, I was curious if the belt it had would fit, it did so I ran it. I drove it from july of 2012 to january of 2018 like that and it was 100% flawless. Never had a belt issue on that truck, I put 111k miles on it like that. Never replaced the belt or tensioner etc.

Same with my camaro. Put a 145 amp on it, reused the stock belt, drove it from late 2009 to mid 2012 and was flawless, zero belt or alternator issues after putting the 145 on it. I have a 50 page thread on ls1tech where I showed guys what to do to put a 145 on F bodies, they all reused the belt when it "needed" a longer one and nobody has reported any issues.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-27-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Differences between early (99-02/03) and up trucks