TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
the problem with dex is people believe it's lifetime

most common sense folks don't beleive in lifetime anything
well herpes maybe

nothing wrong with dexcool if you drain and flush every
24-36 months
I don't think most are that good bout maintaining their vehicles. Heck, even I was gonna change my Dexcool @ 50 when I'd hoped to Have my Radix in, I was gonna put some new Dex in. And here it sits, at 75k w/. most of the original stuff in there. I've added some new stuff in, thanks to leaking water pump gasket & my recent cam swap put some on the ground.

So, I've never done a "true flush", but a partial poor man's flush.

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
Everybody is going to Dexcool. Ford is next. Its good stuff if you maintain your cooling system.

There were problems with poor quality gaskets in V6s that deteriated with Dexcool. There was a class action lawsuit on this. NO v8 trucks were included in this. Anyway no coolant goes through the 4.8/5.3/6 liter intakes.

Dex-Cool IS one of the most friendly coolants towards metals and corrosion.....

Dexcool probably has better performance on aluminum, steel, and iron and a longer life than most any other coolant. It has no silicates or phosphates to form solid abrasives (I don't think this is a big issue really) and is pretty tolerate of tap water that's not too low quality. It's pretty cheap and easy to find. Plus if your car has Dexcool already it's good to stay with the same formula if you can especially during the warranty period.

My wife and I have nearly 3/4 of a milliom miles on Dexcool without any issues what so ever.

But it don't mix with the green coolant. That will turn it to sludge.
Isn't Dex supposed to be better on environment if it accidentally gets into ground? I know it's still not healthy for ground & water, but it's gonna be better than the green stuff. I thought someone had a bio-degrable antifreeze in the event it spilled, but I could be FOS. Evans maybe?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still some left

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
Everybody is going to Dexcool. Ford is next. Its good stuff if you maintain your cooling system.

There were problems with poor quality gaskets in V6s that deteriated with Dexcool. There was a class action lawsuit on this. NO v8 trucks were included in this. Anyway no coolant goes through the 4.8/5.3/6 liter intakes.

Dex-Cool IS one of the most friendly coolants towards metals and corrosion.....

Dexcool probably has better performance on aluminum, steel, and iron and a longer life than most any other coolant. It has no silicates or phosphates to form solid abrasives (I don't think this is a big issue really) and is pretty tolerate of tap water that's not too low quality. It's pretty cheap and easy to find. Plus if your car has Dexcool already it's good to stay with the same formula if you can especially during the warranty period.

My wife and I have nearly 3/4 of a million miles on Dexcool without any issues what so ever.

But it don't mix with the green coolant. That will turn it to sludge.
I 'flshed it' but the over flow tank seems to have traces of 'orange' in it i think i should flush it again . yeah i switched to regular Peak coolant. I have been feelin uneasy about the trace that might be in the engine and its effect on my truck!! any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Ive got almost 94,000 miles right now on factory dex-cool. I have seen a couple of Vortec 5.7L engines near 300,000 miles and they never had anything but Dex-cool so it cant be too bad. I just wouldn't mix the different types.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that the last time that I drank a gallon of DexCool I only caught half of the buzz that I used to get when I drank a gallon of the old green Prestone, so it has to be environmentally sound

btw, I've noticed that dlstewart01 knows his **** when it comes to the fluids that run through your engine...if he says it's OK, I feel even better about running it in my 99 truck for the last 11 years, and my 96 Blazer that now has new intake gaskets
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I know that the last time that I drank a gallon of DexCool I only caught half of the buzz that I used to get when I drank a gallon of the old green Prestone, so it has to be environmentally sound

btw, I've noticed that dlstewart01 knows his **** when it comes to the fluids that run through your engine...if he says it's OK, I feel even better about running it in my 99 truck for the last 11 years, and my 96 Blazer that now has new intake gaskets
Funny guy, Billy.

Agreed, I always learn from him.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Dont forget to add your bottle of water wetter when you flush it
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3

X2! dlstewart01 help me out by telling me i should not have used the gm diff additive when i changed my diff fluid. He said G80 rear end only needs 75-w90 gear oil -no additive- in the trucks.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 155,000 on the original Dexcool, still looks great and have never had a leak. I put in some royal purple "purple ice" about 100,000 miles ago. Dexcool has a bad rep and people continue to spread that its no good. I will be changing mine soon, also time for another trans filter and fluid change.