PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Converting 3 door ecsb into 4 door (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/converting-3-door-ecsb-into-4-door-468476/)

VTJosh 09-03-2010 09:04 PM

Converting 3 door ecsb into 4 door

Anybody know if this has ever been done? My Googleing has come up short. I've got a early 2000 3/4ton 3dr ecsb and I've always wondered what it would consist of to add the 4th door. I've had my whole interior gutted at one point(except dash) to fix up some rust and could'nt help but notice that its basically just sheet metal there. If one were to pick up a complete 4th door for cheap at a salvage yard, do some measuring/cutting that it could be done. I also own a 4th gen Camaro and alot of them do a t-top conversion by buying the t-tops and cutting out the roof. Not hard at all. Most time consuming part is getting the weatherstripping channels just right but it's been done dozens of times. I can't stop thinking that it'd be about as difficult as that. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Anybody seen this done? I would think swapping out the entire cab for a 4dr one would be more diffucult but what's involved in that?

jpodell 09-03-2010 09:32 PM

That would be cool to find out about. Never thought about this because mine has four doors. Never seen a write up on it either. I'm subscribing.

dlt76028 09-03-2010 10:05 PM

i don't know if i would cut into the cab of my truck

iamkeniff 09-03-2010 10:11 PM

just swap cabs

.James. 09-03-2010 11:39 PM

^this, i wonder if a crew cab will switch with ecsb, prolly not, bed is too long

brent5631 09-04-2010 01:17 AM

Cheaper to switch trucks. But It takes more cash that way. I don't like mine much either.

VTJosh 09-04-2010 12:24 PM

I know it would be best to just get a 4dr truck but I got mine for dirt cheap from a family member. $3500 for 00 3/4ton, 6.0l, 4.10s out back in pretty decent shape and a 8ft Fisher plow. Steal i tell you. Initially thought about picking up a 4dr and pull the motor out of my 2000 for my Camaro and part the rest, but they were around 10 grand for like 1/2 ton rcsb's. Smaller truck, smaller motor, over 100k miles for shit ton more money. Plus mine has alot of new parts and I know the service history, etc. The only way I'd go with swapping the entire cab would be for a crew cab. Are the frames the same? Anybody swapped entire cabs before? How extensive is it? This is more of a "is it even possible" type deal as winters coming up fast, so I don't want to be in the middle of a project. I may just keep an eye out for a complete 4th door anyway

*Edit*Looks like frame is different between CC and EC.

01 BERGER CAMARO SS 09-04-2010 09:59 PM

ive done it to my dads 2000 silverado. All i did was go to a junk yard and got the whole passanger side frame panel(the frame that the doors bolt to). I drilled all the spot welds and cut 3" into the roof of the cab so the original can over lap it when i weld the new one. I reused the front door and bought the 4th door with the panel. Once the old one was removed all i did was put the new panel in place with vise grips and did new spot weld were the old ones were. I used 3m seam sealer all over where the new panel was placed to keep air, water, etc out. Works perfect and looks factory

VTJosh 09-05-2010 08:27 AM

Please tell me you have pics!

01 BERGER CAMARO SS 09-05-2010 10:52 AM

i can get you some when he comes around with the truck. I have no pics of the build but its simple and eazy to do.