PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Cam Change questions (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/cam-change-questions-153245/)

GMC SKI 03-25-2004 03:07 PM

he's not going near the truck becuase he insisted that i needed to pull the oil pan first off and then he was a dick about it saying if you can do it better then have at it
I'm like no whatever man and i hung up :judge:
what's with People in the aftermarket/auto Business ???
All assholes these days :mad:
Only guy that helped me out is Seth from combonation motors Great guy
everyone else ...bunch of assholes
I have money how bout some service with a freaking smile :bang:
Even when they Claim they are changing things that's a load of crap too
as with those i have been dealing with ..
Now I'm just bitching sorry not going accomplish anything do it

gonzo 6.2 03-25-2004 03:19 PM

The guy has never done a Gen3 motor since he's telling you he needs to pull the pan.He's thinking of the old smallblock engines where you do have to drop the front of the pan to get the cover on/off.The guys a hack stay away.

OBXMarine 03-29-2004 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GMC SKI
Also any recommendation on a spring tool ?

I got one from this guy in the tools section. I've heard they work great, especailly in the F-Body's tight quarter. I have yet to do mine. Too busy here. Anyways I'll probably have the springs changed when I get my heads P&P'd.

valve spring tool

Snake Eater 03-30-2004 04:27 AM

How do you swap the cam without removing the lifters? I understand everything else, but how is this done?

GREGGO 03-30-2004 09:15 AM

I need to start selling my lifter tool. Anyone interested? Shouldn't be but about $35 or so if that. Depends on the machine work involved.

Snake Eater 03-30-2004 09:34 AM

ill take one if itll make the cam swap easier, and if you can tell me how to change the cam without removing the lifters.

Flyer 03-30-2004 11:06 AM

GReg ... I say go for it! If you wouldn't have already given me the trade secret's I'd be interested! :p

The cam change is rather simple if you can turn a wrench. It's all just a matter of taking stuff off, and putting it back in. There is an article over at www.ls1howto.com about it. It has good pictures and all, you might check it out.

GMC SKI 03-30-2004 07:33 PM

Looks like the week of april 13 is gonna be D day for me
Got in contact with some people and things are looking good
Turbo here i come !!

Ryan23silverado 03-31-2004 12:31 AM

Jim, I used an OEM brand spring compressor (it does not stand for orig. equip. manufact.) I rented it from an AutoZone autoparts store. I don't know if you guys have stores with loaner tools where you are...

Is D day when you receive the turbo parts or when you are doing your cam?
If you do it-cool it's easy. Springs take a while, but it is easy.
If a shop does it for you-it should be written down as about 6 hours max for cam and spring install.

TnTrk53 03-31-2004 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
How do you swap the cam without removing the lifters? I understand everything else, but how is this done?

They have some kind of retainer in there.I spun the cam about 5 or 6 times before pullling it and the lifter stayed up.I had my new cam greased up and ready,out with the old and in with the new. It was the next night before I changed springs and I had to push the lifters down with the pushrods.