Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Being KICKED out of the NAVY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Last edited by MonteCarlo31; 06-30-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well have you found out anything lately?
i can't wait to get down south myself. i'm tired of this place.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TBSS
Sounds like a lot of BOHICA. I would be getting myself a nice bulldog lawyer.
Yea let tha Devil Dog Lawyer fix you boggle
Old 07-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Other than that, at least I'm making my way south where I can get some Cracker Barrel and Sweet Tea

If you cant get sweet tea on the east coast, you ve gone TOO far north.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey bubba, watch yer *** messing with the VA. been hitting them up for a year now trying to get a hearing aid, nothing. "we lost your papers", or "you need to rewrite this one" bull. it is a service related injury, 95% in my left ear gone. caught a mortar @ night sleeping, lost my ear. you know what the army said??? "well, we DID give you ear plugs..." nice. i appreciate it. I feel for ya man, fight it so you dont end up like me. i feel like a jackass.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaKiller5.3
hey bubba, watch yer *** messing with the VA. been hitting them up for a year now trying to get a hearing aid, nothing. "we lost your papers", or "you need to rewrite this one" bull. it is a service related injury, 95% in my left ear gone. caught a mortar @ night sleeping, lost my ear. you know what the army said??? "well, we DID give you ear plugs..." nice. i appreciate it. I feel for ya man, fight it so you dont end up like me. i feel like a jackass.
Sounds like you need to go to a different VA facility. In my experience, some are better than others.

What you're saying, however, brings up a good point. Sometime before you get out you should be offered a meeting with the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) as part of your separation. Go to the meeting. Get the materials. Talk with the representatives. Be interested, because this is the rest of your life you're dealing with.

Get in good with these guys. They will get you everything you can possibly get as far as overall disability rating and service-connectedness as far as injuries (even those that you might consider minor). They are your advocate. The government will attempt to low-ball you, ignore your concerns, downplay your injuries, etc., but the DAV will fight for you and everything you deserve.

I repeat - you need to get in good with these guys. Don't miss follow-on appointments, phone calls, anything. There is a window of time within which you really need to get your rating set. After that, it is difficult (not impossible, but very difficult) to change. You need to get everything you can get at the outset.

I have a friend who has emphysema as a result of being exposed to asbestos while working on a boiler in the Navy. The Navy wanted to give him 30% disabled. The guy couldn't even scale a flight of stairs without stopping for air. He couldn't smell any solvents without being adversely affected. He only had 38% of his lung capacity, and the Navy/VA wanted to say he was 70% functional (30% disabled).

The DAV got him a 100% disability rating, which he deserved, since he couldn't work at all. Still can't.

Anyway, check them out here and make sure you have a meeting with them before you separate. I'm a lifetime member, they're a good organization.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Well, after nearly six years there giving me the boot. I am still getting an Honorable Discharge which I guess is nice. The reason I'm being booted is what makes me a little upset. I badly injured my shoulder Apr last year. I've been on Limited Duty since then and not able to PT. I had sergury on it in Feb to repair all that was messed up with it. The sergury actualy made it worse and more painfull. My regular enlistment ended in Jan this year and I was stuck on medical hold for treatment. I still have another sergury to go and 12+ months of Phys therapy to have a chance of being better. So far the best "guess" is I may be back to 80% one day. Well 2 weeks ago I got word I was being Admin Seped for being 2% over body fat standards. What do they expect, I have been laid up over a year. Before I got hurt I was the ACFL (command fitness leader) and all was great. From what the Navy says, I should have stayed in standards somehow and my medical condition makes no difference. So next Wed is my last day, then I go on Sep Leave(paid vacation basicaly). As far as my shoulder and the ongoing medical problem, I guess I have to talk to the VA.

One more "screw you" from the Navy is now I get no money from them. I was going to be medicaly seperated this coming Jan and that would have been @ $28000 up front. Now I get nothing. Also if your in over 6 years you get severance pay which would be over $20K. My last offical day in the Navy is July 30th. My 6 year mark is Aug 15th. I am 2 freaking weeks short and get nothing!!!! I tried to get them to extend me till after then but "the instructions say you cant be extended for admin sep reasons". I am getting $7k to move me and my family back to Texas and thats it. After that I have to find a job with my screwed up arm. My final madical evaluation showed I had about half the normal range of motion and was over 70% weaker in that arm, and its my dominant arm.

Now on to the GM related stuff. I am looking at a 24'x8.5' trailer to tow all my stuff back. The loaded weight of the trailer will be over 10K I'm sure. Anyone grossed 17-18K in a half ton before? I will be watching the trans temp and will probibly lock the conv in 3rd to keep heat and slip down. I bet my mileage drops into single digits.

Any helpful hints or tricks? The whole 2200 miles will be pretty flat, no major hills.
I was medicaly seperated from the Marine Corps for the same thing. (shoulder injury) I had one sugery on my L shoulder that made it worse but I was able to beat the first med board. Then they make me have a 2nd sugery at UNC Chaple Hill. After the 2nd Sugery I was found to have lost to much movement and still have the same problem. (shoulder will not stay in place) I did how ever get close to 20,000 when I got out and I am now a 30% disabled vet which I can go back for a re eval and have bumped to 50% I hope. (both knees were also messed up while I was in) Rather they pay you sep pay or not you still will be given a disability amount from the VA for the rest of your life due to service related injury. Once you recive your military check up then get back to your home town find out who your VA rep is and request a re eval.

Last edited by Dark Halo; 07-14-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to also add you will always get a higher rating from your local VA then the VA reps on Base. The VA on Base always tries to low ball you, but your local will normaly get you another 10%+.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DakotaKiller5.3
I didn't know ear plugs protected against shrapnel!!! I'm glad I got out unscathed.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shandy294
I didn't know ear plugs protected against shrapnel!!! I'm glad I got out unscathed.
no no, no schrapnel... i meant hearing. guess i could have said that different.

Quick Reply: Being KICKED out of the NAVY!!!!