Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Bed not lined up with the cab?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed not lined up with the cab?

Does anyone else have an issue with their bed not lining up with the cab?
Mine seems to be a bit crooked.

Just purchased this 06 RCSB a couple of weeks ago.

Previous owner installed a 3/6 drop, could this be the reason?
Truck has the "Chevy Lean" not sure if this is causing the misalignment.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Bed not lined up with the cab?-1502504369_zps8wt6ndwj.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Or bed was removed to do a fuel pump.
Get **** under there and loosen the bed bolts and align it.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 05 regular cab and it doesn't line up either, the bed sits up a smudge higher than the cab, thought I was the only one lol. Not really looked into what may be causing it, cause it's not to noticeable.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the cab is sitting lower than the bed, your body mount bushings have collapsed, as the bed is rigid mounted and body is siting on shitty rubber bushings.
They are easy swap. A simple jack and socket wrench.
Workmon one body bushing at a time. Remove the bolt.
Find a body support beam under the cab and put alil jack pressure on it to slightly lift the body and slide the bushing out.
Slide new one in, if need be, go VERY slow and lift the cab a tiny amount until the new bushing slides in.
Replace the bolt.
Do the rest of the bushings.
Dont forget the front fender bushings.

Be advised if you use anything other than the soft shitty oem bushings, road vibrations will be greatly amplified into the cab.
Oem last a very long time, so no need to use aftermarket bushings like moog or energy suspension.

Last edited by ezdaar; 08-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas but this is not an issue with the bed sitting lower than the cab.

If I look at the truck from the rear taillight going towards the front at eye level, the cab sticks out a bit on the drivers side and on the passenger side the opposite.

Almost like the bed was put on the frame crooked. Is there any adjustment for this?
I figured if the bed was taken off for any reason and reinstalled. The bolts would line everything back up perfectly.

Is this not the case?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 PM

I'll get pics up soon
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No ot will not line back up perfectly, there is ALOT of room for movement.
Thats why anyone who know what they doing, marks the bottom of the bed around the frame horns before unbolting the bed or body.
Makes getting it back on and alinged easy peasy.

Crawl under truck with measuring tape, measure from the frame to bed on both sides and then center it.
Move it forward as much as you can with out making contact with cab,then center the front, snug down one side and then center the rear, snug down one bolt and then tighten them all up.
That will align the bed to cab.
If you cant get it to align, then your cab bushings or bushing has collapsed allowing the cab so slightly move.

Just give ot some thought and alot of eyeball, you will figure it out, i have no doubt.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

I bought a 2000 2500 crew cab short box brand new.... The box left to right and body line alignment was horrible... After about 2 weeks, I couldn't take it anymore... Crawled under the truck, took the box bolts out and shimmed it and moved it until it was perfect... It was moved so far, I had to remove the body molding trim and reapply it to get it straight. Body line was about 1/2 inch off...
I bought a new 2004 2500 crew cab and it was perfect.
​​​ Looking in the side mirror while driving the 2000 used to drive me nuts because you could easily see how far off it was.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ezdaar
No ot will not line back up perfectly, there is ALOT of room for movement.
Thats why anyone who know what they doing, marks the bottom of the bed around the frame horns before unbolting the bed or body.
Makes getting it back on and alinged easy peasy.

Crawl under truck with measuring tape, measure from the frame to bed on both sides and then center it.
Move it forward as much as you can with out making contact with cab,then center the front, snug down one side and then center the rear, snug down one bolt and then tighten them all up.
That will align the bed to cab.
If you cant get it to align, then your cab bushings or bushing has collapsed allowing the cab so slightly move.

Just give ot some thought and alot of eyeball, you will figure it out, i have no doubt.
Thanks a ton for the info! Will have to check under the bed asap. I'm having the drop re done so maybe I can get the shop doing the install to check everything out.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Dont overthink it. Loosen all oc the bed bolts and slide the bed around until its to your liking and zip it back down.