PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   BCM and heated memory seats (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/bcm-heated-memory-seats-449737/)

Whippled 496 10-11-2009 02:37 PM

BCM and heated memory seats

I upgraded the interior on my DD from cloth seats and center jump seat to leather heated memory seats and center console. Everthing went in great and looks great. Seats work fine except for the heated memory part which I anticipated due to the BCM needing to be flashed to recognize the new options. I installed a new body harness with all the connections needed for under the drivers and passenger seats so I know i am good to go there. When I press the memory buttons they chime like normal but nothing happens. When I push the seat heater buttons I can hear the seat module under the seat click, but the light on the switch goes right back out. So here are my three options and I was hoping a GM tech could chime in (or anyone else) about what my best option would be.

1. Take it to the dealer and say I want the memory/heated seat RPO programmed to my BCM.

2. Take it to the dealer with a VIN from a truck of the same year with LT options and have the dealer program my BCM with the RPO codes based on that VIN.

3. Try to find a used BCM on ebay from the same year truck that had the options that I want and just plug it in.

So does body style, engine, etc matter to the BCM? Would it matter if i installed a BCM into my truck that used to be in a diesel? Does it need to be a 2500HD BCM?

Will it matter or will the BCM except a flash to the BCM if that specific option was not available to that style truck? For example, a regular cab truck like mine was not available from the factory with heated memory seats.....will the dealer be able to flash my BCM with that option anyway?

Whippled 496 10-11-2009 05:29 PM

Here are some shots of the install showing the seats, console, steering wheel controls, and heater/memory switches in the door panels.

OLD INTERIOR

http://pasadenatownhall.com/truck_pi.../newtruck6.jpg

NEW INTERIOR

http://pasadenatownhall.com/truck_pi.../interior1.jpg

http://pasadenatownhall.com/truck_pi.../interior2.jpg

http://pasadenatownhall.com/truck_pi.../interior3.jpg

http://pasadenatownhall.com/truck_pi.../interior4.jpg

Whippled 496 10-11-2009 05:43 PM

after a butt load of searching I have found many who have uppgraded thier 99 BCMs to a 2002 BCM to access door lock features and other things. It seems the ones who selected Escalade, Denali, or Tahoe BCMs to do thier upgrade also benifited from other options that were in those BCMs such as theater dimming, fog light options, and others. I am thinking i may just pick up a used BCM from a Denali or similar and see if it works. Looks like the only hic-cup is having to deal with the VATs-BCM relearn which takes about 30 minutes.

Still looking for opinions or facts from a GM tech if they are out there......

zeake 10-11-2009 05:52 PM

Looks good. Now buy a real pistol for that pocket. :secret::guns:

Whippled 496 10-12-2009 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by zeake (Post 4307939)
Looks good. Now buy a real pistol for that pocket. :secret::guns:

I flash that when they get aggressive. It will probably get me a ride in a police car when someone reports me. :secret:

No ideas on the BCM huh? I picked up an escalade BCM on Ebay last night. Guess I will be the guinnae pig and see what happens :).

zeake 10-12-2009 06:04 AM

I wanna know how that works out. I don't plan on the heated seats but wonder what else it does for the truck. My 99RCSB has had everything else replaced why not this.

Torque_Wrench 10-12-2009 09:12 AM

It is feasable, what you're trying to do...but you'll have a long road with it. You'll need to have the BCM flashed with the Calibration out of a vehicle with those exact RPO codes for the Options that you are upgrading to. Which means, you'll need a VIN number from someone else's truck. GM frowns on this majorly, so you going to have an even harder time finding a GM Service Center that will agree to do this. You're best bet if finding a GM tech that will do this after hours or on the side for some extra cash and hope the they don't get in trouble with their Service Manager.

Whippled 496 10-12-2009 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench (Post 4308355)
It is feasable, what you're trying to do...but you'll have a long road with it. You'll need to have the BCM flashed with the Calibration out of a vehicle with those exact RPO codes for the Options that you are upgrading to. Which means, you'll need a VIN number from someone else's truck. GM frowns on this majorly, so you going to have an even harder time finding a GM Service Center that will agree to do this. You're best bet if finding a GM tech that will do this after hours or on the side for some extra cash and hope the they don't get in trouble with their Service Manager.

Thanks TW....so are you saying the Escalade BCM will not work? Why are guys able to put a BCM from a 2002 vehicle into thier 99 truck with no problems?

I have a VIN from a vehicle with the RPO codes I need, but as you say....I need a dealer who will "play ball" if I go that route. I would much rather throw the BCM from a different vehicle in that I know has the options I want and call it a day. I can do the PCM-BCM-VATs relink procedure with EFILive.

I see you are in Virginia ....hows about I take a ride down and see you and your Tech II? :)

Whippled 496 10-12-2009 12:16 PM

In all seriousness Torque Wrench, I would definately come down to you if you wanted to try it for me. Obviously I would compensate you for your services whether it worked or not so let me know.

Secondly, I did find a dealership locally that seemed a little aprehensive about it but was willing to try. Can you run down the procedure for me so I can make sure he does it right?
Also, like I mentioned before, does it matter that the new image we are flashing into my BCM is an image that was not avaialable on my style truck? For example, the VIN I have is from a 2004 8.1L extended cab which matches my truck exactly other than mine is a regular cab. Heated memory seats were never an option in a regular cab truck like mine, so is flashing the image from an extended cab truck BCM into a regular cab truck BCM going to be an issue? I guess what I am asking is does the BCM care what type of truck the image is coming from as long as it has all the options I want? One last thing.....when that image is loaded to my BCM wont the VIN number from the doner truck get flashed in as well? Wont that cause an issue?

Just let me know when you want me to drive down there :)

Torque_Wrench 10-12-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Whippled 496 (Post 4308440)
In all seriousness Torque Wrench, I would definately come down to you if you wanted to try it for me. Obviously I would compensate you for your services whether it worked or not so let me know.

Secondly, I did find a dealership locally that seemed a little aprehensive about it but was willing to try. Can you run down the procedure for me so I can make sure he does it right?
Also, like I mentioned before, does it matter that the new image we are flashing into my BCM is an image that was not avaialable on my style truck? For example, the VIN I have is from a 2004 8.1L extended cab which matches my truck exactly other than mine is a regular cab. Heated memory seats were never an option in a regular cab truck like mine, so is flashing the image from an extended cab truck BCM into a regular cab truck BCM going to be an issue? I guess what I am asking is does the BCM care what type of truck the image is coming from as long as it has all the options I want? One last thing.....when that image is loaded to my BCM wont the VIN number from the doner truck get flashed in as well? Wont that cause an issue?

Just let me know when you want me to drive down there :)

The BCM isn't too picky about the Engine and running gears and etc. but it has to have the matching RPO options for that particular set-up.

Let me have a "chit chat" with my Shop Foreman, who I like to call "Yoda"...lol...and I'll get some input from him and if he thinks this is a go...then we'll get you down here and try to fix you up. If you want, PM me your email, or I can just PM you or post up in this thread, when I find out what he thinks. In the meantime, I'll post up your Re-Flash prcedure fro the BCM.