Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Battery relocate without a fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Got any pics of where HD's have 2nd batt. on pass. side? Do u need a cutoff or didja find out?

So does this qualify as NHRA spec legal?
The HD has it in the very back corner behind the coolant tank against the firewall there.

I think as long as they can see/get to the cut off its fine. I think Im going to just do a push pull cutoff on mine and unthread the rod when Im not at the track.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Cody mentinoed earlier, my Duramax van has a second battery on the driverside, outside the frame rail just forward of the filler neck. Kinda sweet factory set-up.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=smokeshow;4960524]That Sonoma is really cool, I might do that. NHRA reg says you have to have a battery cut off switch accessible from the rearmost exterior of the vehicle. Does anyone know if that means visible from the outside, or can it be obscured, out of sight? Still easy to get to, but not easy to see..

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I just don't want it to be tampered with. When I had Spoolins truck I always had to keep an eye on it, or put the key in the cab. For some reason, I was paranoid someone was going to steal it... I know they make the pushbutton type...I wouldn't be opposed to running one of those. Least there's no key to steal
Gavin, as to the one BMR sells for F-bodys, pics & cost?

On that Sonoma, I really liked the heavy rubber pc. to protect from any debris flyin up.
What is this key u are talkin bout Jake?

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Do a removable screw in handle, while on the street its just a little hole then screw it in for the track. You can hide it between the bumper and tailgate.

You might also check into the Dmax van battery mount. It mounts the battery down on the framerail below the front door.

;4960600]Believe its made by flaming river, its what a few of the quick street cars are running around here. Search in the projects section for 04Denali's twin turbo denali build. He had his installed in an extra spare tire lock cap. ...
That's a slick location (betw. bumper & gate), Cody.
I'd hate to show everyone, thieves, racers & cops. But I also don't wanna cut a hole in my bumper for it even tho it's dented when a tool tapped bumper. Cause I've thought of doin this before but a few wks. ago entertained it again.
Flaming River makes nice stuff.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Like this. The Big Switch with Lever Kit - FR1003-2 - 584 - 5466 It's an on/off kit with a lever. You can un-screw the handle from the threaded rod so it barely noticeable.
I was lookin at how to attach to it?

I guess u just undo nut on bottom, slip a giant eyelet for cable around it, then tighten. Can't imagine much different.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Update...got the tray in. Just need to get it wired up now. What are you guys doing for wire gauge? I am seeing people use 1, 2, 0... I am going to run the biggest piece up the frame rail and branch off at a little box near the starter. 0 gauge to the box, stock starter cable from the box to starter, and then 2 gauge to the alt/fuse box. ...
Jake, can I see the "little box" u did near starter? It does suck u spend time & $ to relocate just to add weight back in w/. cable so big u can land a jet on a ship w/. it.

That was another reservation I had, plus the place I went wanted some coin for all the cabling. Whatdaya figure u got into in?

Last edited by fastnblu; 09-11-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Edit details.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Jake, can I see the "little box" u did near starter? It does suck u spend time & $ to relocate just to add weight back in w/. cable so big u can land a jet on a ship w/. it.

That was another reservation I had, plus the place I went wanted some coin for all the cabling. Whatdaya figure u got into in?
Give me a couple days and I will get ya some pics...haven't done that yet I was actually just thinking about doing a big single post terminal that I can bolt to the frame and run 3 wires to it. One to the battery, one to starter, and the other to the fuse box/alt. The fuse box and alt will be on another single post terminal, I think. I'll be running a big ground strap from the frame to the engine block as well.

Once I get it all installed and operational, I'll try to get a number for ya on the cost. Don't be scared to remind me cause I'll probably forget by the time its finished
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The **** I checked on was HD cable that wouldn't break down regardless of heat or cold. I know cold isn't somethin u need to worry bout, I do as it's my DD, incl. in the cold & snow, & must be bulletproof to corrosion w/. all the salt they put on our roads.

IIRC, it was like really good weldin cable, -0. $160 for all materials. I think I migbhta overshot length on the cables. But I knoiw that know, just not back then. So maybe if I went back to drawin board, I could get lower cost.