Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Any GOOD virus scanners for Win ME?

Old 09-04-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any GOOD virus scanners for Win ME?

Yes I know Win ME sucks so spare me the laughter and persecution. I am going to run dual HD's with a 20gig for Windows only and the existing 60gig for everything else.

Anyway that aside, my computer is acting kinda weird and I have already Defrag'd it and still the problems persist.

Can anyone recommend a good virus scanner to me?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Any GOOD virus scanners for Win ME?

A little late for a virus scanner if you've already got a virus. Seriously though, are you talking free scanner or do you intend to purchase? If you want to go the free route there is AVG. If you feel like paying, I'd without a doubt, use Norton's virus scanner. What kind of "problems" are you running into that seem abnormal?
Old 09-05-2003, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaspersky Anti-Virus !!......I haven't found a better one yet
Old 09-05-2003, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

A little late for a virus scanner if you've already got a virus. Seriously though, are you talking free scanner or do you intend to purchase? If you want to go the free route there is AVG. If you feel like paying, I'd without a doubt, use Norton's virus scanner. What kind of "problems" are you running into that seem abnormal?
See I dunno if I do or not. I DL'd a free one and it did not detect anything.

Sometimes the computer will just stop, not freeup but not respond to anything.

It get under 70% resources most of the time even with 256mb ram and a 16meg AGP vid card. I plan to go to 512mb here soon, maybe a larger vid card, and go dual HD's to run only the OS on the smaller one and all my other stuff on the other.

It does it even after being defraged.

Someone told me I can clean up my "registery" what would that entail?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

It may just be time to start fresh. How long has it been since you've done a clean install? Another thing is Windows 95 through ME is TERRRIBLE at handling resources. It doesn't matter how much memory you dump into the machine, it still eats it up. What might be happening is Windows is using your memory up as your working with different apps and not releasing it. Then starts paging to the hard drive using virtual memory which is VERY slow compared to honest RAM. Just curious, how much free space is left on your hard drive? There is a good program I use called Maxmem from Analog X. It watches your resources and frees it up when necessary. It also has customizable settings. As for your registry, if you've been running your current Windows install for a long time it may need some cleaning. You can kill two birds with one stone and download Spybot - Search & Destroy. It's primarily a spyware scanner/cleaner but also has an excellent registry checker and cleaner. You can download Spybot here. http://security.kolla.de/ Let me know if any of this helps.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I have never done a fresh install, didn't think it needed to be. I'd prefer not to do a full reformat as I have soooo much music, many games, etc on there I'd like to keep.

My 60gig is only ~20gigs full. So if my "Virtual Ram" is being used that must be using processor power right? If I doubled my existing Ram to 512, that'd help too wouldn't it?

I will try those out tonight and let you know.