Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

air bag conection pronlem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag conection pronlem

put 06 escalade seats in 02 f150. have yelloe conector for ford yellow conector for escalade. different plugs and wire colors. does any one know if or how i could conect bags. tommy
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not so sure if I'd be mixing different manufacturer's air bag components together in an attempt to make them operational...do the seats themselves have air bags in them, or are the connectors just for occupant detection or something like that? If the seats are just equipped with sensors, and they're compatible, then it's as simple as getting a schematic for each and matching power and ground between the two (assuming that these are two pin connectors that we're talking about). If you somehow find out that the components are not compatible, and just want the air bag light turned off, I would measure resistance at the connectors in the old seats, then install the appropriate resistors into the connectors in the truck to fool the srs module in to thinking that the wires are plugged in to correct components.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 PM

yes the seats have airbags . both plugs are 2 pins. and if they will not work I am simple minded can you go over get light go out.I love these seats 10 time more coforable than my ford buckets .Thanks Tommy
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Well, if you can find out which wires are supposed to be which on each, you can cut the connectors off of the old seats and replace the new seat connectors with them. The more that I think about it, the only way that those wires would be activated would be in the case of a t-bone style collision that would cause the side air bags to deploy (the srs system would have to detect the conditions and command the bag(s) to deploy), and you'll still have the security of functioning side bags as well as the air bag light being off. If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance at the connectors of the new and old seats and see if they are in the same ballpark with each other, then wire them in
Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Cadillac seat with air bag maxs out meter . ford wires from dash no movment Tommy
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I copied and pasted my response from your PM in case anyone has been following this and wants to know:

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You want to check the resistance of both of the seats, while they are unplugged and isolated from the wiring harness...never perform a resistance test on a live circuit or you could blow a fuse in the meter. If both the old and new seats have about the same resistance, you should be good to go with wiring them in, you just need to know which is power and ground on both the truck's circuit and the seat. A schematic for the seat, or an answer from someone in the know will be necessary, while for the truck, you can turn on the key and check for voltage. Not sure if the air bag has a constant 12v and the srs ecm provides ground in the event of a collision, or if it brings both at once (to avoid false deployment), but you need to know so that they're wired in right
Billy
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Default air bags

ok justed tested ford seats . they max out meter too. so far so good . now to find pos. ground .will be at chevy dealer tomorrow ,to arrange cat. convert. replacement on wifes 02 z28 that i found out is still under special warranty 10yr 100,000mile when it repeats tsb codes. found that out here too.anyway tahoe should be same. may be harded for ford info. this forum is great. BIG THANKS.Tommy ps 66 but love these vehicle.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Disconnect battery wait twenty minutes to allow SDM module to power down. Turn key on hook up airbag wiring, Hook up battery with key on no occupants in vehicle. If airbag module detects problem it will disarm the bags the chances of blowing all the bags are slim to none. It will probably just set an airbag code and not work. The ford seats use seatbelt pre-tensioners in conjunction with the airbags. Are you positive there are bags in the old seats and not just seat belt pre-tensioners
Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM

no i am not sure seat has air bags , I was told yellow conector meant it had seat bag. the grey conecter in picture goes to seatbelt pre tensioners.these seats were uuston bo la west customs which is now out of bussiness.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'd think that the seat belt pre-tensioners would use a yellow connector also since they contain a charge that blows to allow instant lock up (Toyota/Lexus seat belt pre-tensioners have a yellow connector...I'd think that sort of item would be fairly universal amongst different manufacturers, but I'm just assuming...)

Quick Reply: air bag conection pronlem