PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   ABS and BRAKE dash lights (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/abs-brake-dash-lights-483477/)

454navyss 06-02-2011 07:50 PM

ABS and BRAKE dash lights

Im not sure if this is the right section or not but my ABS and BRAKE lights on my dash are randomly coming on while Im driving. My brake fluid is not low and it doesnt always happen when im touching the brakes. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any suggestions on what to do to correct the problem? Should i try cleaning off the sensors on the front hubs?

beingblueeyes 06-02-2011 09:11 PM

dose the abs come on @ parking lot speed?

gavin2005 06-02-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 454navyss (Post 4711347)
Im not sure if this is the right section or not but my ABS and BRAKE lights on my dash are randomly coming on while Im driving. My brake fluid is not low and it doesnt always happen when im touching the brakes. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any suggestions on what to do to correct the problem? Should i try cleaning off the sensors on the front hubs?

you need to hook it up to a scan tool and see what codes are in it

454navyss 06-02-2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by beingblueeyes (Post 4711402)
dose the abs come on @ parking lot speed?

its random, sometimes when i start the truck, sometimes when im at a light, sometimes when im driving down the highway

Originally Posted by gavin2005 (Post 4711435)
you need to hook it up to a scan tool and see what codes are in it

i can shut the truck off and start it back up and 99.9% of the time it will clear itself

i did just pull the front sensors out of the hubs, the drivers side has a new hub on it and the teeth the sensor reads were completely clean, the passenger side however was filled with grease. is it a possibility that the grease is causing a false reading?

beingblueeyes 06-02-2011 10:00 PM

clean off the sensors grounding points

oldred95 06-02-2011 10:10 PM

Being that its a 2002 it will most likely have a code saying something about the ABS pump motor relay circuit which means you need a new EBCM. EBCM = electronic brake control module which = about 1 grand across the parts counter at your local dealership. I got the whole complete ABS assembly, the EBCM and BPMV, BPMV = brake pressure modulator valve, from the salvage yard for 100 bucks. I only used the EBCM and its been good for nearly 3 years now.

budhayes3 06-03-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by oldred95 (Post 4711456)
Being that its a 2002 it will most likely have a code saying something about the ABS pump motor relay circuit which means you need a new EBCM. EBCM = electronic brake control module which = about 1 grand across the parts counter at your local dealership. I got the whole complete ABS assembly, the EBCM and BPMV, BPMV = brake pressure modulator valve, from the salvage yard for 100 bucks. I only used the EBCM and its been good for nearly 3 years now.

If it turns out that the EBCM is what is needed, there is a gent at modulemaster dot com who will rebuild your current EBCM for about 100 bux IIRC. I believe that he's also on ebay...

01Blue4.8 06-03-2011 12:22 PM

It happens on my truck every time I drive it. I ran a scanner on it, but it came up blank. I do know that when the two lights are on, your ABS doesn't work. lol.

kostelacd69 06-03-2011 04:20 PM

The nbs trucks had a problem grounding problem under the drivers door. There was a TSB out for it telling you to clean the grounding point. If that does not fix it that means you are to late and the relay inside has died. I have seen it on alot of theses trucks, most of the time it fixes it. It didnt work on mine, so went to the junk yard and picked up just the top half of the ABS for 50 bucks. I believe its 3 torxs screws and the whole top comes off.

454navyss 06-04-2011 05:57 AM

Ill see what I can figure out, thanks guys