Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

4x4 street/strip questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle's v
You should be able to find one for well under 8k with that many miles. I myself and looking to stay around 100k miles. Where do you live?
I found a couple but I am wanting auto windows, auto locks, cruise control... luxury to an extent compared to my daily now. I drive a 1990 Toyota pickup and I used to drive a 1995 fully built lightning until times got tough when I lost my job. :/

Originally Posted by 1Bear
If you don’t have any desire to switch back and forth between 2WD and 4WD, you may want to look into finding a truck you’re happy with and swapping in an NGV-149 transfer-case from an AWD truck/SUV. They are robust enough to take quite a beating and generally only have a couple of typical failure points, the same old wear to the back case halve from broken anti-wear clips allowing the oil pump to cut through the case like all the NVG transfer-cases and the worst (read expensive) would be a viscous coupler failure. Generally the biggest contributor to the coupler failing is overheating the unit, where servicing the unit with quality fluid becomes important. I have seen some units with extreme chain stretch, bad enough to cut into the case and slip teeth, and several with excessively ragged rear tail-shaft bushings. Whatever the case, the “149” really doesn’t seem to have any more demons than any other of the NVG and BorgWarner 4WD cases. Taken care of, the NVG-149 seems to take abuse very well and return a good life span.
I do not mind shifting. It will be a daily. An AWD swap sounds nice but I have no need for it at my level. It will also kill highway mileage!

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
My truck has the 6 speed with the autotrac transfer case. It is stock. Says Borg Warner on it. I have yet to mess with any of my drivetrain. It's 100% stock from front diff to trans to transfer case to rear diff.
I assume the t56 6 speed? How hard was that swap? How did you keep the stock 4x4? Does it bolt right in? And telling me it is stock does not justify anything lol, what kind of power are you pushing out of the 427?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

6spd 6L80E auto trans.... The T56 could never be had stock in a GM truck.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I have the floor shifter in mine, and couldnt reach it to push it back into 2wd during a run even if I wanted to

Its most common to break a shift fork when trying that.

The stock transfer cases will take a beating as long as you dont shift out under power...I just tore mine down for ***** and giggles. Had 250k on it before I bought the truck, then ive put 3k hard 700+hp miles on it with hundreds of 4wd launches and it just had a little wear on the mode fork ($14). I replaced the chain just because I was in there.

As far as years...whatever really...the 99-02 has the hardest time fitting intercoolers but you can make it work. 05+ came with efans and bigger rad. Biggest change was between 03 and 04; 03 is cable tb and return style fuel system, 04 is wire tb and returnless.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic
I have the floor shifter in mine, and couldnt reach it to push it back into 2wd during a run even if I wanted to

Its most common to break a shift fork when trying that.

The stock transfer cases will take a beating as long as you dont shift out under power...I just tore mine down for ***** and giggles. Had 250k on it before I bought the truck, then ive put 3k hard 700+hp miles on it with hundreds of 4wd launches and it just had a little wear on the mode fork ($14). I replaced the chain just because I was in there.

As far as years...whatever really...the 99-02 has the hardest time fitting intercoolers but you can make it work. 05+ came with efans and bigger rad. Biggest change was between 03 and 04; 03 is cable tb and return style fuel system, 04 is wire tb and returnless.
The only experience I have had with wire tb is in the new mustangs. I owned a 2013 for a couple months, waste of my money and returned it eventually when I could break even. Is this more efficient with the return less fuel system as well? If I went e85 what affects would I cause to go either way?

I am looking at an 03 rcsb 4x4 all stock. Was a fleet truck. has a 4.8L... sounds like a good candidate
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Kemble
I thought I had read on here that the 2wd shift will not happen until after the pass even when selected early in the pass? Does yours indeed shift back to 2wd?
The light blinks and stays lit in the 2wd position mid pass. I don't know if it actually really disengages the 4wd at wot but looking at the light shows it does.

I have stock transfer case from a 09 ecsb 1500 5.3 Silverado
Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the consensus is to leave it in 4wd for the entire pass?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes^^^ leave it in 4wd the whole pass its just safer that way and when your not under power anymore shift back to 2wd. Like Atomic I have done this for a couple years now with nitrous/turbos or the combination of both with no issues at all on a STOCK transfer case. Now sorry for my replies above I didn't see this was for the older GMT800 trucks. My truck is a stock 6 speed (6L80E) with a 100% stock Borge Warner transfer case but my truck is a GMT900. I just saw the title and didn't see the category. Atomic and others are pushing way more power then me right now upwards of 1000 so these transfer cases can last and take one hell of a beating with the right precautions and driving habits.

Last edited by Three6GMC; 07-27-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when your not under power anymore shift back to 2wd
I'm not trying to be difficult, but what do you mean exactly? After you go through the traps when you're off the gas, and on the brakes?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 PM

He is saying once you hit the trap and you clock and let off the throttle than engage back into 2wd. I would assume breaking while doing so wouldn't matter but make sure your foot is completely off the gas!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 PM

At least I know they can take a beating than. Once I get my 4.8l swap with the t56 in the Toyota I want to drag the GM truck for a bit before I boost the Toyota. Found a twin kit local for $1200 with less than 1k miles on it. Guy was burning so much oil in the old 4.8l he froze it up and swapped this guy a 370 short block for the kit. Think he will take $800 and than I have my twin set up off the bat

Quick Reply: 4x4 street/strip questions