Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

4x4 street/strip questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 street/strip questions

Been doing some research on here now for awhile and I decided to do a lsx swap in a Toyota truck. But before I continue I have had an urge to do a 4x4 drag build for daily driving on a 99-07 1500 4.8L 4x4 truck. I prefer the single cab short bed. I will eventually boost it hands down.

So on to my questions. What is the better years for these trucks. I read about the HD differences. Is it worth it to find one? Any suggestions on transmissions? Whether I go with a button 4x4 or manual?

When you launch the trucks in 4x4 do you let out into 2wd when it shifts to second? Trying to find out more before I start diving into really hunting for a truck.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm searching for a RCSB right now. I hope to have one in the next few days. I've been pretty picky and looking for quite some time now.

03-06 are the best years to choose from IMHO. Manual or push button shouldn't matter unless your planning on the center console like I am. 05-06 already have the electric fan that is good especially since your going to turbo it. 17'' factory wheels and rear drum brakes also on 05-06's

I want arrival blue so I'm looking at 03-04.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine is only a 450 wheel ecsb truck and I launch it in 4wd and once it shifts into 2nd I turn it to 2wd. I've talked to a lot of guys that leave it in 4wd the whole pass
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I leave mine in 4wd throughout the whole pass and just switch back when im not under power anymore. I have been doing this for a few years now with over 500whp and racing just about every weekend of that time with no issues yet. My truck uses the Borg Warner transfer case so idk if that makes any difference. I have read about a lot of people breaking the transfer cases when they try to switch back to 2wd under power so in fear of that I just do it at the end of the run.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Choda
Mine is only a 450 wheel ecsb truck and I launch it in 4wd and once it shifts into 2nd I turn it to 2wd. I've talked to a lot of guys that leave it in 4wd the whole pass
I thought I had read on here that the 2wd shift will not happen until after the pass even when selected early in the pass? Does yours indeed shift back to 2wd?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by kyle's v
I'm searching for a RCSB right now. I hope to have one in the next few days. I've been pretty picky and looking for quite some time now.

03-06 are the best years to choose from IMHO. Manual or push button shouldn't matter unless your planning on the center console like I am. 05-06 already have the electric fan that is good especially since your going to turbo it. 17'' factory wheels and rear drum brakes also on 05-06's

I want arrival blue so I'm looking at 03-04.
I do not care about center console honestly. I will look hard for an 05-06 though. What seems to be the going price though for an 03-06 with a 4.8L. Lets say 150k. Very vague but maybe you can give me a idea.

Originally Posted by Choda
What transfer case do you have?

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
I leave mine in 4wd throughout the whole pass and just switch back when im not under power anymore. I have been doing this for a few years now with over 500whp and racing just about every weekend of that time with no issues yet. My truck uses the Borg Warner transfer case so idk if that makes any difference. I have read about a lot of people breaking the transfer cases when they try to switch back to 2wd under power so in fear of that I just do it at the end of the run.
I assume the borg warner is not stock than? What could the stock one handle?

Originally Posted by Kemble
I thought I had read on here that the 2wd shift will not happen until after the pass even when selected early in the pass? Does yours indeed shift back to 2wd?
I will have to look into this myself.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to find one for well under 8k with that many miles. I myself and looking to stay around 100k miles. Where do you live?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don’t have any desire to switch back and forth between 2WD and 4WD, you may want to look into finding a truck you’re happy with and swapping in an NGV-149 transfer-case from an AWD truck/SUV. They are robust enough to take quite a beating and generally only have a couple of typical failure points, the same old wear to the back case halve from broken anti-wear clips allowing the oil pump to cut through the case like all the NVG transfer-cases and the worst (read expensive) would be a viscous coupler failure. Generally the biggest contributor to the coupler failing is overheating the unit, where servicing the unit with quality fluid becomes important. I have seen some units with extreme chain stretch, bad enough to cut into the case and slip teeth, and several with excessively ragged rear tail-shaft bushings. Whatever the case, the “149” really doesn’t seem to have any more demons than any other of the NVG and BorgWarner 4WD cases. Taken care of, the NVG-149 seems to take abuse very well and return a good life span.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kyle's v
Looking for one as well, but what separates the 03-04 from the earlier models? In know 05 got a lot of improvements, but didn't think there was much difference other than aesthetics in 03.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My truck has the 6 speed with the autotrac transfer case. It is stock. Says Borg Warner on it. I have yet to mess with any of my drivetrain. It's 100% stock from front diff to trans to transfer case to rear diff.

Quick Reply: 4x4 street/strip questions