Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

4.3 to 5.3 Wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I believe the V6 all retained the fuel return line but hopefully he can confirm.
I believe you are correct on the return Brick... one less issue he has to deal with. I do remember reading the oil pressure switch pigtail will work with wiring up the IAC or TPS sensor... so the more options the better.

But still check the v6 PCM for the IAC chip...
Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
The issue you'll run in to with the 09354896 PCM is it has a Red/Blue connector and the 03+ harness you are looking for will have the Green/Blue connector. The o2 sensors are wired different between the two. The link above has info on how to swap pins around to make it work at the bottom of the page. That 4896 PCM is already programed for that engine so reprogramming shouldn't be necessary.

If the v6 05 (green/blue) PCM has IAC you can use that with no pin modifications but you'll need it flashed to run the V8.

Easiest option 03+ van harness with PCM

The other option will be using an 03+ Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade (4L60E) harness, PCM (your 05 PCM will work with flash) electronic throttle body, returnless fuel rail (drivers side) and a DBW pedal & TAC module. Check out your local pull-a-part, you may find a deal on either option above.

I'm pretty sure you'll need the returnless fuel rail anyway if your v6 05 only has one (supply) fuel line. The 99 LM7 you have should have two fuel lines a supply and a return.

The intake on the left (99-02) has the supply and return lines whereas the intake on the right (03+) has only the supply line. I have two because like I said above "I feel your pain"

The returnless rail dose NOT have the fuel pressure regulator on the rail as the 03+ fuel pump dose the regulating. (your 99 LM7 should have the vacuum diaphragm fuel pressure regulator on the rail... like the one on the left)

So when this engine was purchased from the junkyard we were told that it came out of a 99 Silverado with under 60K miles. However comparing the pic of the 2 intakes that you put up RedXray, my intake looks like the one on the right that you say is from an 03+ because it only has the supply line.

And if the only issue that I have to deal with if I use the 09354896 PCM is just to swap out the O2 wiring then I rather do that and save me from 1. Having to send out the PCM for reprogramming and 2. Save me that reprogramming fee. However with that said I don’t even know or I don’t want to take for granted that this PCM is in fact the actual PCM that came with this motor from the factory. I mean you guys are saying that all 99-02 had a supply and return line and here I am with what looks like an 03+ intake manifold with only the supply line. What else will go wrong???????
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I believe the V6 all retained the fuel return line but hopefully he can confirm.

If it were me, I would use the V6 computer and have it flashed by someone competent. You would likely need to use an 03 operating system because of the return Fuel pressure regulator. Then get any 03-07 classic V8 harness and rewire the throttle body connection for the a manual throttle body. You can likely take them straight from the V6 harness too...

If you know which wire colors correspond to which pins in the DBW Throttle body you can extract them and switch them to the Drive by cable connections. Or you could take the whole harness apart and get the complete wires from the 99-02 harness and put them in the correct spot using an express van Pinout from 03-up

Van harness are longer at the PCM connection they also seem hard to come by. Most idiots in the JY cut them up when stealing parts off the motor in the self help yards.
There is no Fuel Return line (that I can see. Again I am a NEWBIE at this) but if I follow the hard lines from the rear of the truck into the engine bay I see 2 lines 1. is the Fuel Supply line and the 2nd goes to that Evap Solenoid.

I have a buddy of mine that is good friends with an owner of a local JY - he is looking for the Van Harness for me.