Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

4.3 to 5.3 swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this swap. finished it monday, and road tripped it 190 miles last night. The frame plate on the passenger side is the same on all V8 trucks. The drivers side will need to be from the same suspension type that you have. If you have coils, it needs to be off a coil truck. Dealership ordered the correct one in for me for $75.

My buddy has HP tuners, and he grabbed a random PCM off the shelf, and tuned it, then slapped it in my truck. I have 2 411 computers sitting on the shelf, spare. Id let one go cheap!

Both my donor engine and truck were DBC so I didnt have to fight that battle. I do know you can convert a DBW to DBC, so I would imagine you just follow those steps and it will be all set.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLOPONY
I just did this swap. finished it monday, and road tripped it 190 miles last night. The frame plate on the passenger side is the same on all V8 trucks. The drivers side will need to be from the same suspension type that you have. If you have coils, it needs to be off a coil truck. Dealership ordered the correct one in for me for $75.

My buddy has HP tuners, and he grabbed a random PCM off the shelf, and tuned it, then slapped it in my truck. I have 2 411 computers sitting on the shelf, spare. Id let one go cheap!

Both my donor engine and truck were DBC so I didnt have to fight that battle. I do know you can convert a DBW to DBC, so I would imagine you just follow those steps and it will be all set.
Is your truck 2wd? Do you by chance have the part numbers for the frame plates? If I understand it right once I get the correct frame plates I'll be able to use mounts from a v8. I'm hoping to be able to run the solid mounts that a member on here makes and sells.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Fastbrick...
Jarhead and I got together on this and from looking at some of the wiring diagrams and information (gm) the 03 computers should have a blue /green plug harness but the harness he has is the blue/ red

I know the harness and computer I have are from an 01 and are the red/blue and the computer that was connected to it. SOOOO he should be good going into an 01 truck.

The question comes into play is that my truck is an 03 and being that the harness and computer are coming from a donor (avalanche) I would just need to get the pedal/module computer and harness as well as the tb and ......I should be good right?

The engine itself should not matter if its an 01 or an 03 so long as it's a 24pulse and does not have the front cam pos sensor...

I will also send him the tb from the intake... is there anything else...I am missing
Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlarnr1
Fastbrick...
Jarhead and I got together on this and from looking at some of the wiring diagrams and information (gm) the 03 computers should have a blue /green plug harness but the harness he has is the blue/ red

As long as you use the correct computer with the harness it will work fine.

I know the harness and computer I have are from an 01 and are the red/blue and the computer that was connected to it. SOOOO he should be good going into an 01 truck. Yes, 99-02 would be a red/blue connector style harness and computer.

The question comes into play is that my truck is an 03 and being that the harness and computer are coming from a donor (avalanche) I would just need to get the pedal/module computer and harness as well as the tb and ......I should be good right?

Yes! Pedal with small wiring harness and Tach module, Main engine harness with PCM, and Throttle body.

The engine itself should not matter if its an 01 or an 03 so long as it's a 24pulse and does not have the front cam pos sensor...

Something like that... Basically a gen 3 engine from 99-06 with knock sensors in the middle valley cover.

I will also send him the tb from the intake... is there anything else...I am missing

Actually the DBW and DBC intakes are slightly different. The DBC has a bracket that bolt on to it for the cables. The DBW is missing the threaded inserts for this. Most DBC also have an EGR port that is open on them where as the DBW does not.
See answers highlighted in red.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Nwfjarhead
Is your truck 2wd? Do you by chance have the part numbers for the frame plates? If I understand it right once I get the correct frame plates I'll be able to use mounts from a v8. I'm hoping to be able to run the solid mounts that a member on here makes and sells.
2WD could be coil or torsion bar depending on how the truck was built.

I gave the part number in post 6 of this thread
Old 08-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Jarhead,

what do you think still up for the swap. You get a chance to look at the pics?

tq
Old 08-18-2016, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
2WD could be coil or torsion bar depending on how the truck was built.

I gave the part number in post 6 of this thread
This is correct.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Jarhead,

what do you think still up for the swap. You get a chance to look at the pics?

tq
DEFINITELY. I'm going to try to pull the throttle body, pedal assembly, and pedal harness so that way it's ready to ship to you.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I have everything in a box... let me know if you still up for it.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

I have everything in a box... let me know if you still up for it.
I am definitely still up for it. I have everything boxed and ready to ship as well with the exception of the tac module. I'm not sure where in the vehicle it is.

Quick Reply: 4.3 to 5.3 swap advice