Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

20x8.5-inch chrome rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20x8.5-inch chrome rims

I am always struggling to find a part for my truck; now in my latest endeavor I am trying to locate and purchase - hopefully - one 20x8.5-inch chrome rim for my truck. I need one-(1) wheel because I am losing air pressure at the rate of one-(1) to two-( 2) psi per day. Whenever I visit vendor websites I get information overload while reading the specifications. I know the size is 20x8.5-inch and I have six-(6) lug nuts, but that last number about the lug nuts gives me the "deer frozen in headlights". In addition to the photo below, you may visit my profile albums to see a lot of photos of my truck. I prefer to purchase one-(1) wheel because it takes a lot of $$$$ to purchase four-(4) wheels unless it is a really, really good deal to purchase 4 OEM wheels for my truck?

Please provide any leads on new and used wheels that would fit my truck.

Thank you, than you very much,

Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Here you go.

That's a hard wheel to find, better snag this one while you can. They only make that wheel for 2-3 model years total and it was really only a package wheel for the VHO trucks and certain others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-CHROME-G...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
Sierra2K5B4V (10-26-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thank You

Geez Louise, do I purchase one-(1) wheel or four-(4) wheels for my truck? No matter the option I choose it will be expensive for my wallet! I might visit a tire shop or the reputable GMC dealership a few miles north to have the bead re-sealed and verify the condition of the wheel. Besides I am still trying to understand my bolt pattern; I can't find this information on my truck or owner's manual because it is the GMC Sierra 1500 Performance Edition on the SLT Decor - according to window sticker I received when I purchased it in 2005.

Originally Posted by FFDP
Here you go.

That's a hard wheel to find, better snag this one while you can. They only make that wheel for 2-3 model years total and it was really only a package wheel for the VHO trucks and certain others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-CHROME-G...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Old 10-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

I think my bolt pattern for my wheels is {6-139.7mm = 6-5.5"} found on the Discount Tires website - I guess the full specification for my wheels is

Courtesy of the website https://www.santaanawheel.com/about-us/
Diameter X Width: 20 x 8.5;
Number of lug nuts holes:6;
Lug Bolt Pattern: 5-1/2"

Thank You
Old 10-21-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

What you do is all on you.

If you wanted one wheel, buy that one. Finding 4 exactly like this will be really hard. Or go aftermarket.

Why spend $1,000 when your other 3 wheels are just fine. Spend 200-300 for a good condition wheel if the one wheel will not seal anymore.

Or remove all 4 wheel and send them off to get refinished. I live in the north and that is a big business up here. They charge maybe $100-125 per wheel, which is far cheaper than $800-1000 for 4 new rims.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

RPO Code QR9
2004-2007 Silverado and Sierra 1500 along with select Suv's
Was part of the Vortech High Output Option and the Spring Special package

They have been discontinued from GM.

That place on ebay isn't too far from me.

The shops around here want about $300 a piece to refinish the chrome wheels. It's a joke.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Couldn't find the QR9 Code

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
RPO Code QR9
2004-2007 Silverado and Sierra 1500 along with select Suv's
Was part of the Vortech High Output Option and the Spring Special package

They have been discontinued from GM.

That place on ebay isn't too far from me.

The shops around here want about $300 a piece to refinish the chrome wheels. It's a joke.
I couldn't find the "QR9" code on the website, but I found codes "P49 : CHROME WHEEL" and "R04 : WHEEL SINGLE RR", but thank you for the website. Yeah, it is shocking to me too that the price for wheels is expensive whether they are new, refurbished or used wheels. I am only looking to match my wheels preferably one-(1) wheel - if I cannot match one-(1) then IMHO driving a vehicle with a different wheel is worse than having a black-eye at least the black-eye disappears through the healing process. I am commencing a "psi observation" study on my tires. I keep a log for my truck, so I will check the date, time and psi ratings that I recorded the past couple of days. I will check the pressure in my tires later today; I checked both rear tires this morning in unusually cool weather for Florida 52deg - I thought I lost 4-psi in my right rear tire and 2-psi in my left rear. I think I will reset my baseline according to the psi-ratings on my vehicle then check my tires each morning and evening until I can conclude a leak or not.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1 Wheel or 4 Wheels

Originally Posted by FFDP
What you do is all on you.

If you wanted one wheel, buy that one. Finding 4 exactly like this will be really hard. Or go aftermarket.

Why spend $1,000 when your other 3 wheels are just fine. Spend 200-300 for a good condition wheel if the one wheel will not seal anymore.

Or remove all 4 wheel and send them off to get refinished. I live in the north and that is a big business up here. They charge maybe $100-125 per wheel, which is far cheaper than $800-1000 for 4 new rims.
I actually looked at getting my wheels re-surfaced for either re-chroming or coating while I was in Houston, Texas in 2017: boy was I shocked because it was more expensive than purchasing new wheels of the same kind. The chrome "plating or surface" has long been flaking from my wheels. I checked a local shop here in the Florida Great Northwest Panhandle while I was shopping for my tires [purchased this past spring]: I thought the local shop did great work, but they don't remove the wheels; I couldn't get assistance from any other shop; I don't have stands for my vehicle; I don't have the tools to remove a tire from the wheel, so I have to consider and exhaust all my options. I think might visit a local tire shop to inquire about sealing the "suspect" wheel.

Wish me luck and thank you for your responses.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

What is the difference between a wheel and a rim?
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra2K5B4V
I couldn't find the "QR9" code on the website, but I found codes "P49 : CHROME WHEEL" and "R04 : WHEEL SINGLE RR", but thank you for the website. Yeah, it is shocking to me too that the price for wheels is expensive whether they are new, refurbished or used wheels. I am only looking to match my wheels preferably one-(1) wheel - if I cannot match one-(1) then IMHO driving a vehicle with a different wheel is worse than having a black-eye at least the black-eye disappears through the healing process. I am commencing a "psi observation" study on my tires. I keep a log for my truck, so I will check the date, time and psi ratings that I recorded the past couple of days. I will check the pressure in my tires later today; I checked both rear tires this morning in unusually cool weather for Florida 52deg - I thought I lost 4-psi in my right rear tire and 2-psi in my left rear. I think I will reset my baseline according to the psi-ratings on my vehicle then check my tires each morning and evening until I can conclude a leak or not.

Thanks
P49 is the rim companies code. QR9 is the factory RPO code. It can be found on the Service tag inside the glove box.
Here is mine shown below.
Just so you know Tire pressure will fluctuate as the weather changes and also as the surface temp of the tire changes.
The tire PSI at 75 degrees ambient temperature measured with the tire cold will be higher than the same cold tire reading with a 55 degree Ambient temperature. 2-4 PSI may not be out of line. More than that though Could be. Ideally you would want to check in similar conditions to obtain accurate information.

Quick Reply: 20x8.5-inch chrome rims