PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   2006 Vortec Max modifications/I need some advice! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/2006-vortec-max-modifications-i-need-some-advice-539476/)

gaps 09-02-2015 01:17 AM

2006 Vortec Max modifications/I need some advice!

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2006 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with the Vortec Max Package. It has 79,000 miles on it. It has a lift and exhaust however I don't know the brand of either or how high the lift is exactly (I think its a 6" lift). It has brand new 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires on 18" wheels. I am looking for some input about:

What CAI would you recommend? It is stock right now. I am leaning towards Volant or Banks or K&N...

If I tune it, it sounds like Black Bear is the way to go from what I have read. And they are coming to Phoenix in October so I could see them in person. What do you guys recommend?

Maybe some headers. Will they help any performance or MPGs or do they simply sound better? I think they will do all three?

I'm not looking to get super expensive or after crazy performance. I'm looking to improve some low end performance and possibly increase some MPGs. It sounds like you either get one or the other, but I have read about how a tune and simply helping the engine breathe may get both....

This will be my daily driver so reliability is important too..

thanks for any advice!!!

FFDP 09-02-2015 10:24 AM

Looks more like a 2-3in lift if anything.

Remove the large and heavy rim/tire package and that will make it way faster, you may not want to do it but I can assure you that it's holding the truck back big time.

Airaid intake tube is all thats needed, adding a cold air kit won't net you anything more.

Headers can help with power, likely not much mpg as you foot will be in it more and a tune would be needed for the full effect. Like said above, those tires and rims are heavy and getting rid of those and the lift can gain back mpgs.

03chevytruck 09-02-2015 01:22 PM

What are your goals? I'm a fan of cam/ stall myself. I feel like a lot of money is wasted on the whole cold air intake and the hundreds of dollar for "usless" bolt ons... Example throttle body spacer... The things people buy...

Vortec350ss 09-03-2015 12:36 AM

For real meaningful power increases you will need internal engine mods. But your basic bolt ons with a good tune can definitely make a meaningful difference.

gamble686 09-03-2015 01:03 AM

Blackbear does a great job. I would do a few things more in the supporting mods area first. Corvette servo, large transmission cooler, and the circle d budget stall. Improve your trans strength and durability. Plus some seat of the pants gains. Change out the stock muffler for a magnaflow for a little more growl. Headers and ORY are a great idea and lucky for you it's easy to trick the emission locally with a good tune. You have a factory 87mm TB with the newer intake manifold so it's breathing good already. I would suggest an eBay CAI or the air raid Intake tube. The high dollar options are a waste.

gaps 09-06-2015 12:56 AM

Thanks for all of the info! I'm leaning towards an Airaid CAI, especially since they are in the Phoenix area where I live. I need to find out what muffler the dealer had put on before I bought it. I like the sound (its not factory) and may leave it if it is a good one. If not, I had Magnaflow on a 2004 Escalade that I had that had the 6.0 and I really liked it, so I'm leaning that route too. And hopefully I can do the Black Bear tune when they come to Phoenix in October. I know that with a lift, 35s, and a 6.0 you aren't going to get great mileage, however I want to help the motor breath and get the best performance and mileage without ditching the lift and tires.

GREENSIERRA 09-06-2015 09:04 AM

being someone that has been through all this with many different setups I will give my 2cents.
gears, either 4.56 but preferably 4.88s.
Long tubes with exhaust of your choice
circle D 278 3200 stall with tru kool 40k trans cooler.
Black Bear tunes my truck so obviously they get my vote.
that will keep you happy for abit and also set you up for future mods

Fast_six oh 10-05-2015 09:58 AM

Gears gears gears

mikeyjm1 10-06-2015 02:32 AM

...WHAT THESE LAST 2 SAID!!!

That said, as someone who also just had to have a CAI, just get the AirRaid Jr tube and leave the OE box where it is. I have a Banks and I think its the best built on the market. I just dont believe they do anything substantial. the biggest slow down for air flow looks to be the tube to the TB which is why AirRaid sells it separate. Its all Id do if i did it over.

mikeyjm1 10-06-2015 02:35 AM

I saw you signature as I clicked "Post". You didnt waste any time. Great header choice, they were on my short list. Up those gears and that truck will fly.