PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   2-4wd (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/2-4wd-533887/)

Theeebalz 11-26-2014 05:54 PM

2-4wd

i dont post much on here, usually just lurk, however my dad and i have put alot of work into his 92 z71 sierra, the body is almost gone on it (NOT WORTH SAVING) we have built a mild 5.7 for it rebuilt the tranny, installed a detroit locker in the rear, and have truly replaced anything and everything mechanically, he wants a pretty truck again, and found a cheap clean 2wd 98 1500. all of his donor parts are good and we have the time tools and skill to do about anything to it however i would like to know if its possible to do essentially a frame and body swap between the 2 trucks, i haven't gotten a clear answer as to if it's possible anywhere all i've seen are the straight axle swaps which is no where near what he wants.

oops probably pretty pertinent to add that both trucks are same body style and all, so it would truely be a frame/bodyswap if the bolt holes will line up.
any help is really appreciated.

TimDave217 11-27-2014 10:42 AM

if they are they same, taking the body off of one and putting it on the other should be like putting legos together. I'm assuming you will take the the cab and bed off of the 2wd and put it on the original 4wd frame.

Theeebalz 11-28-2014 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by TimDave217 (Post 5257457)
if they are they same, taking the body off of one and putting it on the other should be like putting legos together. I'm assuming you will take the the cab and bed off of the 2wd and put it on the original 4wd frame.

more or less, the 4wd frame is starting to rust out pretty bad, 20 some years as a plow truck hasn't been good to it.

AKlowriderZ71 11-28-2014 10:36 PM

The frames are way different.

Theeebalz 11-29-2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 5257727)
The frames are way different.

how so? only asking because the last time i looked at a solid axle kit for one it was the same setup for either 2 or 4 wd. i'm probably wrong either way.

1FastBrick 11-30-2014 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Theeebalz (Post 5257923)
how so? only asking because the last time i looked at a solid axle kit for one it was the same setup for either 2 or 4 wd. i'm probably wrong either way.

Because the S.A.S. kits are fairly universal.

The frames are Physically different between a 2wd coil sprung and a 4x4 Torsion bar suspension.

For 1, a coil sprung frame needs pockets for the spring and also has a crossmember between the 2 frame rails. This crossmember is not present on a torsion bar frame as the front differential bolts in near this area. The way the Engine mounts to each frame is different. The front suspension points are different as well as the upper and lower control arms. Also the track width is wider on a 4x4 Vs. 2WD.

As far as the sheet metal it should basically swap over between the frames. Sometimes there are minor differences in the floors to accommodate different options on a 4x4 frame Vs. a 2WD frame.

Theeebalz 12-10-2014 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick (Post 5257975)
Because the S.A.S. kits are fairly universal.

The frames are Physically different between a 2wd coil sprung and a 4x4 Torsion bar suspension.

For 1, a coil sprung frame needs pockets for the spring and also has a crossmember between the 2 frame rails. This crossmember is not present on a torsion bar frame as the front differential bolts in near this area. The way the Engine mounts to each frame is different. The front suspension points are different as well as the upper and lower control arms. Also the track width is wider on a 4x4 Vs. 2WD.

As far as the sheet metal it should basically swap over between the frames. Sometimes there are minor differences in the floors to accommodate different options on a 4x4 frame Vs. a 2WD frame.

Thank you! that was exactly the answer i was looking for! :cheers:

Richb1422 12-15-2014 10:13 AM

im looking to do the same thing with my 07 gmc 2500

AKlowriderZ71 12-15-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Richb1422 (Post 5261175)
im looking to do the same thing with my 07 gmc 2500

The half ton frames are completely different. But the HD2500 is a different story. With a little cutting & welding it can & has been done. I believe I gave you a link in another thread.

Richb1422 12-15-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 5261186)
The half ton frames are completely different. But the HD2500 is a different story. With a little cutting & welding it can & has been done. I believe I gave you a link in another thread.

yeah you did, thank you!