PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Z06 Springs (yellow) (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/z06-springs-yellow-431215/)

Killer SS 12-22-2008 07:56 PM

Z06 Springs (yellow)

i have notice alot of people buying these springs lately(Z06 Yellow) was wondering how good they are and what type of cam can i run with these springs. cause if i can run a pretty good cam, i will grab a set of these when i can. thanks bryan

Thechevyman122 12-22-2008 08:18 PM

they are good for moderat size cams...i would stick to cams with duration less than 22x/22x and no more than .560" of lift. Though they have been used in smaller cams (less seat pressure required) with lifts of up to .57x.

Not bad for the money, but as i too was looking at buying a set, and someone told me
why not spend a hundred extra bucks on possibly one of the cheapest and most damage causing parts if it failed. So with that said, i will be going a slightly more expensive route.

GMCtrk 12-22-2008 09:07 PM

when was the last time you heard of an ls6 failure

zippy 12-22-2008 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4082797)
when was the last time you heard of an ls6 failure

I agree. I've installed many and sold many, no failures yet.

LMSeven 12-22-2008 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thechevyman122 (Post 4082751)
Not bad for the money, but as i too was looking at buying a set, and someone told me why not spend a hundred extra bucks on possibly one of the cheapest and most damage causing parts if it failed.

This person isn't familiar with LS6 springs. It's not like your buying quarter machine condoms, LS6 springs are like Trojans for the rough rider price.

wastedrubber 12-22-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by LMSeven (Post 4082860)
This person isn't familiar with LS6 springs. It's not like your buying quarter machine condoms, LS6 springs are like Trojans for the rough rider price.

That is an awesome comparison

BlownChevy 12-22-2008 09:57 PM

I used to believe in the LS6 springs until I lost one. I have seen three other vehicles break LS6 springs with little GT2-3 cams, and it has made me rethink my springs for the future.

Killer SS 12-22-2008 10:19 PM

so these springs are pretty decent then.are they beehive style? well i kinda figured GM wouldn't make crappy springs. also i think anything no matter what the price could be subject to failure. could get a bad patch ,worker coulda been hung over:chug: sometimes you never know:secret2:
thanks for the replies.

Thechevyman122 12-23-2008 02:13 AM

i have researched the z06 spring more than anyone guarenteed. these springs were originally rated to .551 by GM, because thats what they were used in...there are failures out there if you search for them, just like any other spring. i was just saying in the grand scheme of things the additional money spent on real aftermarket springs, can be worth it, especially since z06 springs have about 2/3 of the seat pressure of aftermarket springs with similar lift ratings. dont get my wrong, the z06 yellow spring, can be a great spring and do the job perfectly, but if you would like i would link you to the tons of articles ive read that has lead me to my conclusion.

If i cant find a good deal on some other springs, i will run yellow z06 springs for sure.

vff_jeff 12-23-2008 03:29 AM

Another thing to think about is the yellow springs are used OEM. So as long as you stay below the recommended lift and ramp rate, they can last 100k+ miles. How long will a .650 spring and a cam with .650 last again?
From what I was told by GM, My cam is about as big as you want to go with those springs. The cam I have actually calls for them as a part number by GMPP. I was told that 1.80 rockers is about as much lift as I could add. That would make my lift .555.
cam specs are in my sig.