PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   y pipe to single pipe.. what muffler? and cut outs? ls1.. need help asap (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/y-pipe-single-pipe-what-muffler-cut-outs-ls1-need-help-asap-435018/)

pewter00 02-15-2009 11:40 AM

y pipe to single pipe.. what muffler? and cut outs? ls1.. need help asap

i have a bagged and body dropped 2000 silverado that i just put an ls1 in.. before the body drop i had a v6 with no y pipe and the exhaust just came straight out of the manifolds and back so i didnt have a y hangin below the frame..

now i dont have much room to work with on runnin 2.5" exhaust so i have to have a custom y done and can only run one pipe.. i need to know the best sounding muffler to get for this setup

also, i'm interested in a cut out.. would i need 1 for each side or just put one on after the y? where is the best place to find an electric cut out? i need help asap so i can get my exhaust done this week and get to drive it for the first time in a year and 12 days

pewter00 02-15-2009 08:44 PM

anyone?

GMCtrk 02-15-2009 11:46 PM

I would get the new LPP headers and Y pipe setup. Based on the pictures Ive seen the Y pipe doesn't hang below the crossmember like every other aftermarket setup out there. After that you can run any aftermarket catback system and I have my cutout in the catback right after the y pipe. DMH is the best one to get.

95 bright teal 02-15-2009 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4131001)
I would get the new LPP headers and Y pipe setup. Based on the pictures Ive seen the Y pipe doesn't hang below the crossmember like every other aftermarket setup out there.

he is making a custom y,
i would recommend a large magnaflow. it will give it a deep rumble but wont be too loud, then put a DMH cutout right after the y pipe, for when you weant to wake the neighbors

BaddillaK 02-16-2009 08:09 AM

to be honest i dont like my magnaflow, i have pacesetters ory and 4x9x1?" dmh cutout and tr220, before the cam it wasnt too bad, but now the drone is really bad, it is actually quieter in the cab with the cutout open on the highway. Im happy with the rest of the system tho

95 bright teal 02-16-2009 10:10 AM

Thats why i said a big one, the smaller ones are basically like a resonator, with longtubes they will be loud.
I would recommend a oval case about 22"x6"x3" not sure on the exact dimensions, but i have an 18" dumped with no drone whatsoever. when i get longtubes it will be louder thats why i recommended a longer one

pewter00 02-16-2009 10:14 AM

i want it to be loud... i cant go with an ory or anything too extravagent because the truck is bagged and body dropped and i dont have alot of room to move the exhaust around.. all of my air setup and fuel cell is under the bed.. i think i'm gonna have to do a single bullet and i'll probably do a cut out.. i couldn't do long tubes so i only have some edelbrock shorties

95 bright teal 02-16-2009 10:20 AM

If your doing a bullet why do a cutout? it will be loud with no cats and just a bullet.
just not sure if there is enough volumne difference to make it worth the money spent on an electric cutout

pewter00 02-16-2009 10:41 AM

i dont know much about motors and all of that so i didnt know the bullet without cats will be close to as loud as open headers.. i wont be runnin cats but if it wouldnt be worth it to spend the money on an electric cutout then thats great.. saves me a couple hundred bucks

jaegmc99 02-16-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by pewter00 (Post 4131213)
i dont know much about motors and all of that so i didnt know the bullet without cats will be close to as loud as open headers.. i wont be runnin cats but if it wouldnt be worth it to spend the money on an electric cutout then thats great.. saves me a couple hundred bucks

You will be amazed at much flow you will have with a bullet. With shortie headers and no cats, you pretty much have no restrictions in your exhaust minus the amount of pipe bends. A cut out will be really loud at idle and acceleration but will almost "cancel out" while cruising. As far as performance wise I think a cut out will only help you out at higher rpms/speeds. I have heard from others that you will lose torque off the line due to no real scavenging of the exhaust gasses. I would get a weld in cutout. During the week, run full exhaust and on the weekends or whenever you wanna race or be loud, uncork the sunnuva bish!