PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   what is the best exhaust cutout to get? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/what-best-exhaust-cutout-get-213921/)

ohohsilverado 09-08-2004 08:52 PM

what is the best exhaust cutout to get?

What is the best exhaust cutout to get and where would i buy it from. I would like to get an electric one. Also, do i mount it in front of the muffler or the catalytic converter? If its in front of the cat do i need a computer tune. If so what should i get and where. Im a newbie and it seems like its been hard to get answers to some of my questions. Any help would greatly be appreciated. BTW-my truck is a 2000 rcsb 5.3l.

Slammed-am 10-11-2004 06:48 PM

streetpro

ohohsilverado 10-11-2004 07:07 PM

thanks a lot man

O3GMC 10-11-2004 07:09 PM

streetpro

or

dmhperformance

I have the DMH and its been great - street pro's stainless cutout and lever setup might be better...do a search and you'll probably find feedback.

Slammed-am 10-11-2004 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
thanks a lot man

No prob, The way I see it, the top two are the qtec and the newer streetpro. I have heard that the qtec's motors will crap out on you and just aren't as reliable in general. Their main advantage is the cost. Streetpro has my vote because it is frickin' prettier and it is better with ground clearance due to the flush design. I have heard that the motor is stronger and lasts longer. Also, the streetpro's open in 2 seconds whereas the qtecs take a full five seconds to open. That is a big one for me. And the switch for the qtec isn't as nice imo. All of the advantages of the streetpro justify it's pricetag.

Street pro
+good for clearance
+nice looking (not that it realy matters)
+superior design
+stronger/ more relaible motor
+FAST open/close time
+have flap open in variable positions

-Price

Whoa, I just visited streetpro's site, and they have a special, instead of $245 for the single cutout, you can get it for $195! Well, now that qtec doesn't really have a price advantage anymore, I think Streetpro wins, hands down.

The only other cutout that really caught my attention is one by Dr. Gasket. I've don tons of research and found zilch. The cutout is operated by a cable that you pull to open the flap. Obviously, you wouldn't have to worry about a motor crapping out on you and I think it costs $45. And I guess you can rip it open as fast as you want. I have only seen it available in a 2.5" though. I have never seen anybody that has one, but I am very interested in it. Anybody have any info?

Well anyway, streetpro has my vote. Good luck. God, I just love the idea of the electric cutout. Flip a lighted, cockpit mounted switch to bypass cats, mufflers and tubing in order to increase performance, scare ricers, impress chicks or annoy neighbors. Or you can just close em' up and satisfy parents, calm neighbors and appease your local pd. That is so James Bond. Damn cool.
/rant

Quick Time 10-12-2004 06:12 PM

slammed-am
Are you speaking from personal experience? Because our motors are very strong and have over 7000 units out there. We must be doing something right because GM wants our valves in the DOD vehicles :)
If anyone has any questions feel free to call us.

Flyer 10-12-2004 06:51 PM

QuickTime, from personal experience, get EVERYTHING in writing with GM. DOn't do anything without doing that first, rather it be in email or a signed paper, just get it in writing.

Also, watch your quality. They will stick it to you royally on quality issues. Trust me ... I know!

[/:soapbox:]

I think the QTP's are nice. They will bolt right up to an existing cutout, the regualr kind you get that you have to undo the wingnuts on.

If you were talking about a regular cutout like that, asking opinions on them, just get some FlowTech RaceReddies from Summit or something. They will do the job just fine.

Slammed-am 10-12-2004 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Quick Time
slammed-am
Are you speaking from personal experience? Because our motors are very strong and have over 7000 units out there. We must be doing something right because GM wants our valves in the DOD vehicles :)
If anyone has any questions feel free to call us.

No, I don't even have an ls1 or a cutout of any kind. I have no experience whatsoever with qtecs or streetpros. i sorta feel like an ass because your company may make a very good products. But, from word of mouth (or the word online) I've heard some bad things about the qtecs. I will want fast open/close time, great ground clearance and product longevity. And from what I've seen with streetpros, they have it all. I (really) don't mean to bash qtec (even though it really seems that I am) but I'm just excersizing the right to state my uneducated, biased, naive opinion. Before I heard about the streetpros, I was dead set on a qtec. But technology evolves for the consumer. Anyway, I'm sure you make a quality cutout, and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Hmmm, who first came up with the electric cutout? Any history?

Flyer 10-12-2004 11:12 PM

I don't think I can even come up for a good response to that other than maybe ... WTF were you thinking?! Maybe that's it ... you should think before letting the fingers glide over the keyboard.

In my opinion, the street pros look a little barbaric.

As for clearance ... that would have a lot to do with the installer.

Quick Time 10-13-2004 08:12 AM

slammed-am
Alot of units out there. For every 1 bad experience you hear about there are over 100 good experiences that you dont. So dont think that everything you hear or read is fact.

Flyer
Contact me about your experience with GM. I would like to know more about it. I have dealt with them a few times. I am going into this very slowly. Thanks