Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter shot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter shot?

truck has never had a starting problem. Batteries are both good in the truck, jumped another car off of them with it off and it did fine..go to start the truck last night and all i get is a click..like i can hear the solonoid clicking but no starter turning..the gfs car did the same thing and it was just the solonoid, so im thinking thats it. Am I going to have to take off my headers to get to the starter? or is there room? I havent looked under there in a while...i checked the relays and such and they are all good. i gotta get a better angle and try knocking on the solonoid and see if it starts then..
Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like ure off to a good "start"
Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol thanks for that..

is the solenoid not replaceable on the nbs starters? I cant find one anywhere, just a whole starter
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts

you should be able to get it out with the headers installed. reach up there with a hammer and tap that solenoid a few times. also make sure those connections on the battery and starter solenoid are tight.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Tootall mentioned, make sure that your connections are tight, and that the battery cables aren't corroded internally, if that's all good try smacking the starter with a hammer and see if it will start. The starter/solenoid is only available as an assembly AFAIK...I was able to remove my starter with my StainlessWorks on when I swapped my trans.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im gonna check all the connections tomorrow..i just find it wierd that it went out that quick..normally they wear out and you can tell, but this always starts instantly, the solenoid clicks etc...it sounds like a dead battery clicking, so im hoping its just the cables..they are almost impossible to get to with the headers for the starter, but ill have to figure something out...gets so damn cold here when the sun goes down lately
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Bump for finding out if you can change just the solenoid on a NBS starter...I think my solenoid is bad, starter works fine if it gets a swift whack, but will not do anything after sitting for a few days...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^once you start hitting them it's time to replace it cause they don't ever get better and sooner or later it will give up completely... if you have an auto electric shop nearby they might rebuild it for you which will be cheaper than a new one. and yes, the solenoid is replaceable if you can find one but i'd recommend going with a whole new starter or rebuilt one as the internal wear parts will also be new then. fix it right the first time and don't worry about when it will fail on you again.