PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   The truth about the smell with no cats? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/truth-about-smell-no-cats-428224/)

GMCtrk 11-04-2008 10:16 PM

The truth about the smell with no cats?

I've had conflicting info from members on here. A few told me that their catless exhaust hardly smells at all. Charlie Wheatley said that they all stink without cats. When I fired mine up I noticed a horrible smell so bad I had to leave the immediate area while my truck idled. I'm thinking about getting some magnaflow metallic center spun cats, but that would be a pain in the ass compared to just sticking the OBX ORY in. So can this smell actually go away with a proper tune or what?

I forgot to ask also, if I go with cats do I have to turn my rear o2's back on or can I run it with my current tune just using the front 02s? Thanks

trever1t 11-04-2008 10:21 PM

no, no cats will have that pure gas smell that makes my eyes burn....Love that smell on my bike.

parish8 11-04-2008 10:24 PM

i love that smell too. reminds me of the good old days. you get used to the smell and after awhile can't smell it anymore:(

same goes with race gas. i used to be able to pick up the smell from 1/4 mile away. not anymore, you get used to it.

hirdlej 11-04-2008 10:28 PM

You're a wuss, stop whining...........

In all seriousness, when tuned right they'll stink only a little bit. I would consider it no worse than my riding mower with a 20HP single cylinder. Maybe you're just sensitive? Another member on here didn't like how my truck smelled when he saw it in person, personally IMO it's not that bad. Hell, it's fun to line your exhaust tip to the window of the prius next to you and blow harmful toxins at them. :P

Mangled03gmc 11-04-2008 10:34 PM

It will never smell like a vehicle with cats on it if it doesn't have them period>>> I like the smell myself..

John

shupe 11-04-2008 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4042574)
When I fired mine up I noticed a horrible smell so bad I had to leave the immediate area while my truck idled.

Ran the truck for about two years without cats. Both with long tubes and gutted cats. Never smelled bad.

GMCtrk 11-04-2008 10:35 PM

maybe I'm a wuss, I've never been catless before. If this was a weekend only car I would have no problem with no cats. But since this is my DD I just can't take that smell.

I'm just trying to figure out where the cats can be welded into the OBX Y pipe. I guess the OBX resonators will have to be cut off.

Mangled03gmc 11-04-2008 10:38 PM

Cut the old ones out and put new ones in. Best bet is to try and off the obx y pipe or send the whole system back, get a refund, then just by headers and have a Y with cats fabbed for you..

John

454SuperSport 11-05-2008 12:28 AM

i don't mind the smell at all. i also noticed that after running a few 5 gallon batches of race gas through it that the sweet smell never really went away :D

TouchOfEvil04 11-05-2008 12:41 AM

I bought my rcsb without cats on it already. Goin from my ecsb with cats to the rc was very noticable to me but nothing i could really care about.
Not to mention it doesn't take long and you get used to it.
I don't mean you don't smell it anymore used to it but rather the doesn't bother you any kinda used to it.That make sense?