Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Truck tried to start cranks then dies, wtf HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck tried to start cranks then dies, wtf HELP!

Sup guys, drove my truck (2001 Chevy Silverado) to meet my friend yesterday . Parked it for like 10 minutes with the passenger side down, and drivers side up. Had a 1/2 tank of gas and tried to start the truck and it would crank then die. My engine would turn over and my Air commander would go on so that means the belts were spinning it just wouldnt stay idling. My friend who was ridin' with me said he smelled a melting/burning smell b4 I parked. Called my friend he said try to start it and stay on the gas for a few seconds IT worked! So I got it home yesterday then it started fine this morning . I have the original battery so I went n bought a Red Top Optima at costco today......just so thats eliminated.....any ideas tho guys? K, I left it sat 2 days aired evenly up and started fine Saturday and Sunday. Tried it today and did the samething.....tried to start but didnt... Let it sit for 15 minutes tried it and started right up.......Any idea's appreciated.....Could it be my ALARM? sometimes when I remote start the security light goes on but it starts fine.......could this be related to that? My Air Commander might be throwin' oil on the wire goin' to my computer for my Remote Start Im confused......lol
Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that problem on my 97 Burban, ended up being the fuel pump. It was spotty starting up, but if it wouldn't start I just had to let it sit for 15-20 minutes and it would start up fine. It eventually got to the point where it would die while I was driving. That sucked.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have seen this on a couple trucks and even mine. it is like a little grimlin that strikes then goes away. i personaly think it was the computer. this was when my truck was stock. i have not had any other trouble with a diff computer.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Teching In

either fuel pump, fuel filter, or pinched line, bad regulator, etc..
Old 04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had this happen to me. when the gas went to one side all the dirt in the bottom of the tank went into the line. was able to get it through to the weekend when i took the filter off and then pumped all the gas out using the turn the ignition on for a few seconds method(cuz i didnt want to drop the tank). had to do it about thirty times til empty. then put a little gas in pumped it out and repeated about three times till i didnt see any dirt coming out of the line. been fine ever since. if you have any questions you can pm me.

Bryan
Old 04-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

is your security light staying on while you drive? it could be the VAT system taking over if so.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same thing on my 98 hoe, fuel pump. Turn the key, to the on possition, and listed near the tank to see if you can hear the pump come on. It makes like a buzzing noise.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Launching!

My silverado did similar stuff, wound up being fuel pump.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel pump here too. Just start noticing when you turn the key on if it makes that little buzzing noise in the back if it doesnt then you know its the fuel pump.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

next time it will not start take a small hammer and hit the bottom of the gas tank,while some one else is trying to start it.that will tell you if it a fuel pump happens alot,see it everyday @ work.

Quick Reply: Truck tried to start cranks then dies, wtf HELP!