PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Switching to Magnaflow (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/switching-magnaflow-201698/)

Black02Z71 08-07-2004 09:21 AM

Switching to Magnaflow

I've been thinking of switching my muffler to a magnaflow. I have a 3"in/dual 2.5" out 40 series delta flow now, and I would like something a little smoother and quieter at cruise, and still have a bark to it. So what size of case should I get? how quiet are the bigger/longer cased Magnaflows vs a flow 40 series.

Also I had my system made at a custom stainless place, and they put dual 2 1/4" tailpipes coming off the muffler, do you guys think they are to small? I wanted dual 2 1/2" but the guy used the smaller pipe for more clearance.

tooquick2beslo 08-07-2004 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Black02Z71
I've been thinking of switching my muffler to a magnaflow. I have a 3"in/dual 2.5" out 40 series delta flow now, and I would like something a little smoother and quieter at cruise, and still have a bark to it. So what size of case should I get? how quiet are the bigger/longer cased Magnaflows vs a flow 40 series.

Also I had my system made at a custom stainless place, and they put dual 2 1/4" tailpipes coming off the muffler, do you guys think they are to small? I wanted dual 2 1/2" but the guy used the smaller pipe for more clearance.

I have heard good things about magnaflow.
Guy I work with said his friend had some flowmasters on his grand national just by switching mufflers he knocked off .3 tenths. I was like DAMN.

MacADaYear 08-07-2004 01:03 PM

Thats the exact setup I had, 40 series with dual exits and it did sounds good. I moved to a magnaflow full catback and have loved it ever since. It still has a very throaty sound but is more toned down and rounded. When I stomp on it, it still turns heads :D

greentahoe 08-07-2004 03:08 PM

I have the biggest Magnaflow that will fit and with the Thorley's it sounds awesome. There's a nice muted grumble at idle and really turns heads at WOT. You'll probably gain some power by going with a Magnaflow. Flowmaster is mostly for sound IMO.

Black02Z71 08-07-2004 05:44 PM

I measured my muffler today, it is 19" overall, so the 5x8x14 (20" overall) would fit the best but I think it would be loud. The 5x8x18 (24" overall) is the best muffler for me, I think. Does anybody have a 14" cased magnaflow, and how loud is it?

onyx 08-07-2004 06:03 PM

if you mix the magnaflow with some TOG's it gives the motor a nice lopey sound...

CHAGO 08-07-2004 06:18 PM

i got a magnaflow and ASM's with no cats, the sound is really deep and tame, sounds good at idle as well

one03sierra 08-07-2004 06:25 PM

asm's no cats and the big case magnaflow here as well. :cheers: